Masters in Communications Design in NYC

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MHDG, Apr 3, 2009.

1. MHDG macrumors newbie

Hello all,

This is my first post. I work in finance right now (6 years) and want to transition into the design field to pursue a career in communications design and/or design research. While I have a lot of the business/management/comunication skills, I don't have refreshed technical skills (in Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.) I have to stay in New York and have been exploring some Master degree programs. Here is what I have found to date:

NYU-Tisch: Interactive Telecommunications Program (MPS degree)
    NYU-School of Continuing Education: Graphic Communications Management and Technology (MA degree)
    Pratt: Communications Design (MS degree)

Which do you think would be the best program for me, given my background and what I want to do? I'm looking for a school and program that is reputable, has good resources (especially in career services when it comes to finding internships and a full time job) and a reputable and involved faculty.

I don't know any people in the industry, and while I've met with all the schools, I would really like an unbiased opinion. If there any other programs in NYC that I should be looking at, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My only question is this: Do you want to TEACH? Many students pursuing a career in the communications industry are under the impression that they need a Master of Communications Degree to further their career opportunities. After a long discussion with my faculty adviser, we determined that only if I wanted to teach would the Master of Communications Degree truly benefit me in the long run. Then again, as you mentioned earlier, the need for contacts within the industry are crucial, and you may benefit from working with faculty that have continued relationships with the industry away from the campus. Communications Design/Graphic Design is an entirely specialized area of study and requires more "hands-on" v. "theory based" education. It almost sounds like you might want to pursue something in the area of an additional baccalaureate degree; unless of course you cannot attain a second baccalaureate degree due to restraints by the college or university saying that they can only confer one baccalaureate degree; then a Master of Communications Degree would be your only alternative. Good luck and keep us advised...

3. MHDG thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks SF for replying.

No I do not want to teach at the moment, I want to work! Ideally, I would love to work in job where I can be involved in the communications design decision concerning which media channel, grahpics, typography etc. to use in a print advertisement or any other visual message (annual reports, brochures, etc.)

I'm really looking for a school that will give me the graphic / technical skills I need (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)

4. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

You don't need a school or a degree to be successful in the field you're talking about. You'll be handing them a lot of money or taking on loans to be 'taught' how to design and how to use the software programs. You can learn the programs on your own. Hard to say if you have the natural talent to be successful but if you do I'd suggest trying to get into the field without spending the next several years getting that degree. I've interviewed plenty of people who have those degrees and 80k worth of loans to pay back and they pretty much suck often times. I'd hire someone with "it" rather than a degree any day of the week.

Take some community college courses in design/typography etc., they can be just as good and can teach you just as much. And compared to a university...quite a cheap solution. That being said, I have the degree. haha.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Reflecting on jecapaga's post, see if you can line-up an internship with a major player in your field of interest. Some pay, some do not, but it's cheaper than throwing money at some "school".

6. MHDG thread starter macrumors newbie

@ Jecapaga - I was thinking along the same lines for quite some time - that I didn't have to go to school for 2 years if I knew right now what I wanted to do. I've tried to get interviews at these companies, or even just get someone to talk to me by emailing them (w/o sending a resume)...and no luck.

I think I've gotten pigeon-holed into finance, even though if someone where to actually look deeper, they would see that people who work in finance have skills that are applicable to other areas. I like to think I have an eye for design - when I was an undergrad, I was the webmaster for a few of my school's depts and designed some professors' websites. Not terribly sophisticated work, but I did get compliments. But that was 6 years ago, and I know my skills are not in line with I need to succeed today. So I was thinking that school was my only option...especially to get those contacts and access to those companies.

7. MHDG thread starter macrumors newbie

Also @ Jecapaga - what degree do you have, and from what school? Any advice on the three programs I've listed in my initial post? Thanks.