Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple TV+ series Masters of the Air had more viewers in its opening weekend than any other Apple TV+ show has had in its first season, Apple told Variety.

masters-of-the-air.jpeg

Apple did not provide details on the exact number of viewers, but the show beat out popular Apple TV+ offerings like The Morning Show and Severance. Masters of the Air features the 100th Bomb Group that performed dangerous aviation raids in Nazi Germany.

After the premiere of Masters of the Air, viewership across Apple TV+ grew 65 percent worldwide compared to the prior seven-day period, plus Apple maintained double-digit growth across more than 100 territories.

Masters of the Air was a highly anticipated show that was created as a companion series to Band of Brothers and The Pacific, both of which were popular when they debuted, so it had a built-in audience. The show is executive produced by Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks, who also worked on the prior shows.

Masters of the Air debuted on January 26, and episodes are being released weekly. The finale is set to air on Friday, March 15.

Article Link: 'Masters of the Air' Sees Most Watched Apple TV+ Launch to Date

• Love
Reactions: jmacr and alfonsog

GDF

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2010
Curious. I wonder how much longer WWII dramas will be relevant? We’re approaching a time when no one from the war era survives. I’m a little surprised that the demand for WWII related content continues to draw so much demand.
Why? Lots of interest still in Westerns and many period time pieces. Think of 1883, 1923, etc…. Lots of people love watching that stuff, including me. :)

avkills

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
Remembering and studying the past so the same mistakes are not made again...not that it is going very well...lol.

No offense to the younger crowd; but those who fought in WWII are heroes -- there are not a lot of people in the same age bracket today that would do what they did.

I am enjoying the series so far, but it is also making me sad knowing the sacrifices that were made.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
Steven Spielberg is one of the producers. His son, Sawyer Spielberg, has a recurring role in the series as Lt. Roy Claytor. We’ve been watching it and enjoy it. What those B-17 bomber crews went through was nothing short of hell on earth.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Curious. I wonder how much longer WWII dramas will be relevant? We’re approaching a time when no one from the war era survives. I’m a little surprised that the demand for WWII related content continues to draw so much demand.
Helps me remember my father’s stories, he was in the pacific campaign signal corp and was loading the invasion ships until the second drop and surrender.
Most of the history he took with him to the grave, only heard bits and pieces and a few photos. :rolleyes:
He liked to watch the history channel wwii programs and he would comment as we watched them. His brother was in Europe but came home ok.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Helps me remember my father’s stories, he was in the pacific campaign signal corp and was loading the invasion ships until the second drop and surrender.
Most of the history he took with him to the grave, only heard bits and pieces and a few photos. :rolleyes:
He liked to watch the history channel wwii programs and he would comment as we watched them. His brother was in Europe but came home ok.

My dad served in the pacific too. He was Navy signal corps stationed in the Admiralty Islands doing code breaking.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
After the premiere of Masters of the Air, viewership across Apple TV+ grew 65 percent worldwide compared to the prior seven-day period, plus Apple maintained double-digit growth across more than 100 territories.

Speaking as a data analytics manager, this sentence doesn't tell me enough.

What is the typical uplift following a premiere on other streaming services? What's the gross churn over the same period (or conversely, what's the # of net new subscribers)? How much does that churn accelerate in week 2, 3, 4? What was the raw count of adds in the week prior and after?

What is "viewership" as a metric to Apple? Is it the number of people accessing any AppleTV+ content? Is it the number of people accessing the given program? Is it the number of unique subscribers? Is it the number of non-unique viewers (e.g. counting everyone on a family account)?

"Maintained double digit growth"... over what period? Which territories? What is a "territory" in AppleTV+ sales parlance? Is it a country? A state/province? An MSA? A zip code?

What do the seasonality, cyclicality and trend look like? Is there a broader deviation from the mean happening? Due to what?

Etc.

Last edited:

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
My father-in law was hit by shrapnel from a Japanese mortar shell. He was on the deck of a supply ship during the Battle of Leyte Gulf in the Philippines when the shell landed on the deck.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
As with all other streaming platforms, these numbers are self reported so we have no way of knowing if they're telling the truth or not.

You’d need to provide some kind of credible motivation for Apple to promote this specific show in that way if you want that conspiracy theory to have legs. But I don’t see any special reason why they’d want to artificially promote it. I’d expect Flower Moon would be more likely to be the subject of that kind of manipulation if Apple were to do it, which I don’t think they did.

I seriously doubt Apple is lying.

Reactions: KeithBN and SFjohn

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
You’d need to provide some kind of credible motivation for Apple to promote this specific show in that way if you want that conspiracy theory to have legs. But I don’t see any special reason why they’d want to artificially promote it. I’d expect Flower Moon would be more likely to be the subject of that kind of manipulation.

I seriously doubt Apple is lying.

This specific show? I don't think Apple cares about the specific show, they just care about sending a signal to the market that their services push is working. I don't take these metrics seriously.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
This specific show? I don't think Apple cares about the specific show, they just care about sending a signal to the market that their services push is working. I don't take these metrics seriously.

Well, I don’t see any legitimate reason Apple would promote this specific show for that specific reason. I also don’t see any credible motivation for Apple to manipulate these numbers generally since streaming content isn’t central to their business strategy. Apple isn’t like Netflix. Apple is like the old HBO or FX. They’re in it for the prestige, not the profit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.