Match all files from drive A to drive B?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by H.Finch, Feb 17, 2017.

1. H.Finch macrumors regular

Hi all,
    Quick question:

I have an external drive with all my work-related files. Call it ‘disc A’.
    I have a second external drive, to backup that fist one. Let’s call it ‘disc B’.

I usually tag the new files on disc A so when I connect my backup drive B, I can select those and copy them (manually) to drive B.

But… I was wondering if there isn’t a little app somewhere in which I can say: Drive A is my master drive, Drive B is a slave-drive, and let this app scan both and match the files from Drive A to Drive B. So that I never overlook something.

I hope I’m getting this across :)

Does anyone know such an app? Doing it manually in Finder by dragging the new files and folder from A to B every week seems very archaic.

Any tips or insights would be very welcome!

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You might check out Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)

https://bombich.com

You can start it manually, have it start on a schedule, or have it start when it sees the external drive connected.

3. H.Finch thread starter macrumors regular

I've seen that app... but I thought that was 'only' for bootable backups... In essence I need an app that builds an index of drive A, and an index on drive B, and matched index A to B...

4. hfg, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017

hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Yes, it will make a bootable backup if that is what you want. I use it to "update" my backup disk such that it only copies the new files (deleting the old version if desired ... program option) and doesn't waste a lot of time copying files which haven't changed. I suspect it does internally something similar to that which you described above.

I run CCC automatically once a night for desktop machines with attached backup drives. For laptop computers, it runs automatically whenever I attach the external portable disk drive.

Of course, the OS X built-in Time Machine will also do what you want, and will save historical versions in the event you want to roll-back a file, folder, or the whole disk. This does take a larger backup disk ... recommended 1.5 to 2 times the original data size. After the initial backup which can take some time, the incremental backups usually only take a minute or so and I don't even notice them happening in the background.

5. mpainesyd macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

I have been using Goodsync for a similar purpose (synchronising folders on an iMac and Macbook). It works well. It will ask for instructions if it comes across a conflict such as newer files on both disks.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

I use ChronoSync for this.
    https://www.econtechnologies.com/chronosync/overview.html

7. H.Finch thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot guys! I will look into CCC, Goodsync and Chronosync! I'm sure one of those 3 will be exactly what i need...
    PS. This won't be complicated by the fact I have filevault turned or will it? (propbaly not was my guess)

8. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

If you are not scarred of the command line and want to use a builtin OSX tool then open Terminal and type in and hit enter key.
    Code:
    rsync -avP /Volumes/disc\ A/* /Volumes/disc\ B/

This will do the same as any of the tools mentioned using the same program they are going to use to do the job graphically. Add --delete after the -avP if you want rsync to delete files on the disc B that are no longer present on the disc A and a --dry-run added in will do test run to show you what will happen before you remove it to do the actual operation.

9. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
  10. twinthumbs macrumors newbie

twinthumbs

rsync is the cheapest (free) native option. ROBOCOPY does it too if/when you switch to and/or use Windows.