Match modem to ISP or Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by raythepa, Oct 26, 2014.

1. raythepa macrumors member

Hello all,

Back in the US after 3 years in Australia and am now back to buying/upgrading my tech. After years of "renting" a modem, I'm done with that. I'm gonna buy one but wondering if the modem is best matched to whoever my ISP is or is it best matched to the Airport Extreme? Aren't they just basic switches (layman's terms) and are all pretty much the same? I'm just not sure if Comcast, AT&T really has a device that is really propriety to there system of if its just a box.

Does that make sense?

Thx for your input!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I'm not sure what you are asking? Just get a cable modem on your ISPs approved list and it will work with any router.

If you are asking about the ISP provided combo cable modem/router boxes.... those are typically worse than what you would get by buying your own and tend to be lower end equipment and feature limited.

3. raythepa thread starter macrumors member

Good point, just looking for a simple modem that would fit all situations. Your right I have seen preferred lists of modems for ISPs, probably best to stay with one of those. So ultimately I guess the AE is more forgiving than the ISP is when it comes to matching equipment.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Unless your modem is combined with your router, then they are independent of each other. Your modem communicates with your router via a TCP/IP-compatible bitstream. You modem does not care where the bitstream goes. Your router does not care where the bitstream comes from.

Many retail consumer electronic stories sell cable modems. They list the providers for which each modem is compatible. When you get the modem home and connected to your cable system, place a phone call to your provider. Give the operator your modem's serial number and MAC address. The operator will activate record this information and then activate your modem.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

The cable modem output is Ethernet. It should work fine with any router you choose. As mentioned, avoid the ISP combo units.

6. SusanK macrumors 68000

I used a modem on TWC preferred list. No issue with AE. I prefer Apple's wireless.

7. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

If you are going with a ISP that provides service over coaxial cable, I highly recommend the Motorola SurfBoard SB6121 and SB6141. The SB6121 seems to be more stable with Apple equipment however.

8. raythepa thread starter macrumors member