Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
zOEIhyv.png

Hi,

I'm the developer of a new app called Matched Betting Calculators and thought it might be useful to some members here.

Just to say upfront, the app's premise presumes you can sign up to bookmakers online and is intended primarily for a British/European market. I am unsure of the legality of online betting in the US. This app is only a calculator, and should not contravene any laws regarding gambling, but please ensure it is legal to place bets in your location and you are of the required age before doing so.

If you're not familiar, matched betting is a strategy which exploits two things. One, that bookmakers will initially take a loss on a new customer in the hope that they form a gambling habit by offering them free bets or enhanced odds. Two, that you can use a betting exchange to 'lay' bets (essentially bet on the outcome that x or y will not happen).

This lets you guarantee risk-free cash from free bets. I'm not here to debate the mathematical veracity of the method - if you are sceptical (I was too), just Google 'matched betting' and have a read. I've made a few thousand pounds since September last year to supplement my university budget. It will never make you extraordinary sums of money, but I earn enough a week to shop for slightly nicer food and go out once, which suits me.

I got a bit fed up of using the online calculators to calculate my lay stake (the amount you need to 'bet against' your original bet on an exchange) and liability, especially for more complex offers. Therefore, I've created this iOS app to help simplify the calculations.

It's free for the basic calculators, and a one-time IAP for the more advanced calculators. I find it works especially well on iPad on iOS 11 when you have two Safari windows for your exchange and bookmaker side-by-side, and the calculator floating on top.

Download it here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/matched-betting-calculators/id1374857673?mt=8

Any questions, feedback, or suggestions - please send them through the app or contact me here! Thanks!

Disclaimer: Although every effort has been taken to ensure the accuracy of these calculators, you use them at your own risk and the developer shall not be held liable for any loss, financial or otherwise, resulting from this application's use or misuse. Please ensure betting is legal in your jurisdiction before placing any bets and you are of the required age.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.