Matching CPU's MP 4,1 Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ade90054, Sep 16, 2016.

1. ade90054 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So I've searched the forums here for this subject and the results I've found seem to vary somewhat.
    I've got a dual cpu MP 4,1 that I want to perform the well documented upgrade on. I've also got a single x5690 cpu, can someone tell me unequivocally that I could by a second non-matched x5690 and it work? Has anyone on here done this and succeeded?

Any help much appreciated,

Thanks,

J.

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Unless you bought an Engineer Sample. AFAIK, all official X5690 has same stepping, so they are all matched.

3. ade90054 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it's definitely not a sample, it seems the overall consensus is that it should be fine to grab another single cpu as long as it's the same model and like you say not a sample.

4. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

5. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

It's really not a consensus, it's a fact. I have X5677 CPUs in my 5,1. The first "set" I received had a CPU with a bad memory channel. The seller took it back and replaced it, problem solved.

Lou

6. AidenShaw macrumors P6

AidenShaw

While I agree with the posts that there is no special matching of CPUs, I would worry about running a dual socket system with CPUs of different steppings.

"Steppings" are the silicon equivalent of "revisions". Two processors of the same model # but with different steppings are not identical.

When processes are swapped between processors, a lot of state has to move with them. If the processors are different steppings, unfortunate things could happen.

So, don't worry about matched pairs - but get the same steppings.

And, BTW, most dual socket x64 servers are available with a single CPU, and are field upgradeable to dual socket.

7. raymanster macrumors 6502

raymanster

I bought my two x5677 cpus from different suppliers and seems to work fine for last 2-3 months.

8. DanSilov macrumors member

Another confirmation here, bought two X5680's from different vendors, work absolutely fine.