Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
California
I remember a post a while back that I can't find that had some cool external HD that matched the design of the Power Mac. Just wondering if anyone knows the links to the site to wher they're at? would I be able to share the drive between my ibook and Power Mac and would the HD help the speed of my ibook?

SaleenS351

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2004
California
yeah that was one of them. Will I be able to share it between both computers? and will it help my ibook performance even though it's external?

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
I don't know what you mean by share it. You cannot connect it to both computers at the same time if that's what you mean. Aside from that, yes you can share it. You can access it over file sharing or swap it from one computer to another.

As for it speeding up your iBook, I would imagine it would due to the faster HD speed. However you may not notice much difference unless you are using the drive as a scratch disk for, say, photoshop or final cut. I don't know if running the FW drive as the boot drive has any performance advantage over the stock iBook.

Edit:

I have a very similar setup:
iBook G3 900, 640MB ram, 40 gig
Dual 2.5 G5, 3GB ram, 250 gig hdd
Dual 450 G4, 1.5GB ram, 120+160+40gig hdd

I use my iBook mostly for internet, word processing, and web design when I am on the go. I have, on several occasions, done 16-track mobile recording on it using a firewire drive. So, in this application the external drive really paid off. I would not have been able to do (trust) this type of recording without a firewire drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.