Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iClone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2016
Las Vegas
Hi all. I am going to upgrade to the new iPhone 12 Pro Max but I’m debating heavily on which color to go with. When it comes to Apple devices I feel a little bit OCD as I want everything to match.

I want to upgrade to Apple Watch 6, and AirPods Max as well.

I definitely like the classic white and silver and see many positives of going that route.

But I also like the sleek look of the graphite/space gray line up.

I really do like this yearis gold watch and iPhone as well but feel like it would be hard to match with the other accessories.

Any thoughts or pics of your own setup would be very helpful.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
Space Grey and Graphite everything here.
12 pro max
M1 macbook air
iPad 11" pro
AirPods Max
SG AW5

Last edited:
Reactions: iClone

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Apple Watch S6: space grey
iPhone X: silver
iPad Air2: silver
I've always had silver iPhones and iPads.. I may switch it up and get space grey or if the rumored flat black happens on the Pro's that would be something I'd like to try

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
SG iPad Pro 12.9
SG iPhone 12 Pro Max in black leather case
Black SS Apple Watch Series 5
AirPods Pro with black leather case

I actually prefer the black watch over the graphite series 6. I think my setup looks great together but that's my opinion only.

Reactions: iClone and Robbosan

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
This is definitely a nice approach but I found I rarely have the devices in use together where the match would be visible. Besides I change watch bands a lot and sometimes have phone cases too where the colour matching usually ends.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
AW 6 Natural Ti with graphite Milanese loop band
iPhone 12 Pro Max graphite
iPad Mini 5 SG

The watch/band combination is pretty sharp looking. I really didn't consider trying to match watch and phone.

Watch and band combination is what I tend to look at.

Reactions: ericwn and iClone

iClone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2016
Las Vegas
SG iPad Pro 12.9
SG iPhone 12 Pro Max in black leather case
Black SS Apple Watch Series 5
AirPods Pro with black leather case

I actually prefer the black watch over the graphite series 6. I think my setup looks great together but that's my opinion only.
I always wanted the black watch as well, but this year it’s too expensive for me since it’s a Hermès only option.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
I prefer silver/white.

I spent many years using Apple products in white (the iPhone 4, iPad 3 and the silver MacBook Pro). I got tired of the white screens, and ended up hating them because of the reflections at night (when there was no light, it was reflected with the brightness of the screen all over the bezel).

I switched with the iPhone 5 and iPad Air to black and didn't change colors. "Space grey" arrived, and I bought my first Apple Watch Space Grey, the iPhone 6 Space Grey and the MacBook Pro 2016 Space Grey. And, having them all together, I saw that none of the devices were the same color (the iPad Air 2/ iPhone 6 was lighter than the watch, which was almost black, and the MacBook Pro is an in-between shade). That's something I didn't like, so I ended up going back to white/silver.

I bought the silver iPad Pro 2017, the silver steel Apple Watch S4, and currently have the iPhone 12 Pro Max in silver, along with the iPad Pro 12.9" 2020 also in silver.

The MacBook Pro Space Grey is totally damaged from use, in the trackpad area has lost the color (and I'm not the only one who has happened, because coworkers have the same model in Space Grey and are in the same state). It is clear to me that, if I buy another MacBook, the next one will be silver as well, since with the MacBook Pro 2010 I had something like this never happened to me, with an even greater use than the one I give to my current MacBook.

It is true that the silver steel of the Apple Watch and the iPhone 12 Pro Max scratches quite easily (although it can be polished and is new), but even so I think I still prefer it to graphite.

iClone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 14, 2016
Las Vegas
This is definitely a nice approach but I found I rarely have the devices in use together where the match would be visible. Besides I change watch bands a lot and sometimes have phone cases too where the colour matching usually ends.
Definitely I like the idea of having matching phone cases with watch bands. I personally think that the stainless steel color matches the best with every combination.

But at the same time the dark gray stuff looks really nice too. I think that’s my problem I see both as being really nice and that’s why I get confused. LOL

Gandek

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2017
Haha I’m the same as well in terms of Apple OCD recently picked up a iPad Air 4 in green which matches/contrasts my 11 pros more dark green. If you want to play it safe get silver since they never seem to change that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.