Material Lust and the New 13" Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Psychmike, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Psychmike macrumors regular

A lot of owners of the 1st generation unibody Macbook have been expressing their unhappiness with the recent announcement of a 13" Macbook Pro with improved screen and battery life. Like many, I bought a unibody Macbook a few months before the announcement.

I wager most of us feel a temporary 'high' when we have the newest, shiniest toy and a slight 'low' when we see that something else has come out. But so long as you devote more and more of your attention to that new thing, I think you're gonna feel less and less happy in the long term.

Sure, I wish I could have the newer model, but guess what? Absolutely nothing in my life has changed EXCEPT by belief that I will be happier if I somehow get the new 13" Macbook Pro. I have all the same things I had before the announcement. I can do all the things I did before the announcement. And yet somehow it's easy to feel less. THAT's the power of materialism. The things we own end up owning us. A new laptop will be released in 6 months to a year. A tablet will EVENTUALLY be released. So long as the things I own serve their function, that's enough for me. Trying to keep at the forefront of the treadmill is exactly what makes people poor and unhappy.

My solution is to spend less time caring about what I own and more time enjoying my life. I'm going to spend less time reading reviews hoping to see some flaw in the new machine and more time writing and taking photographs and USING what I have.

Peace.

Michael

2. macDonalds macrumors 6502

So this sounds like some kind of self-theraputic session. Correct?

3. Psychmike thread starter macrumors regular

Just sharing my experience. Have you noticed the number of posts from people thinking about selling their 13" Macbooks??

4. macDonalds macrumors 6502

I've been in a fog lately. But yeah, it's cyclical and happens all the time. That's why I'm in the process of moving away from Macs. They're like an addiction...a very expensive one at that!

5. Psychmike thread starter macrumors regular

Yup! Heroin may be a tad cheaper in the long run.

Best,
    Michael

6. macDonalds macrumors 6502

Sure!

7. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

Maybe to some having the fastest computer possible is their enjoyment of life. If they use a machine for work, the faster they complete a project, the sooner they will be out of the office and enjoying their free time.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nope. I haven't noticed. Are there a lot of 13" MB owners trying to sell?

9. macDonalds macrumors 6502

LOL!

BTW - great avatar!

10. Sareth macrumors member

All these people freaking out because of a minor upgrade are insane.

11. Cycom macrumors 6502

Cycom

Very well said!

The thing is that Macs inspire lust. I had a perfectly capable 24 inch iMac and just HAD to buy an EOL 2008 Mac Pro. I didn't even need it! It's crazy. Now I'm considering selling the Mac Pro (2.8x8, 8 gigs RAM, ati 4870) and getting a new MacBook Pro 13 inch and using the money left over for something I will truly enjoy, like an Elektron Monomachine.

12. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

So does it officially have the nice screen from the MBA? If so I'm ordering today!