Math and Science Note Taking/Computational App

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
I'm taking Physics, Chemistry, Algebra 2, and Trigonometry all at the same time this year (Yah I'm insane, just to clear that up) and I'm looking for an application that would allow me to take notes in these classes and compute the equations I'm dealing with.

I was looking at MS office because has handy dandy little tool to write out equations, but not compute them. And then copy over to excel to compute.

Is this an ok system? I use excel and am comfortable with it, but can handle it something like Physics' or Trigonometry equations, or calculus/statistics (what ever the hell else I take) for next year and years to come?

I can pick up a copy of Maple or Mathematica for about the same price. I'm leaning towards Maple because it looks real nice and also because of the licensing horror stories I've heard from Mathematica users.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Are you talking about taking notes real time in class? If so, nothing beats pen and paper, trying to write math on a computer is too slow for real time. However, nothing wrong with transcribing your notes to computer after the fact.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
Are you talking about taking notes real time in class? If so, nothing beats pen and paper, trying to write math on a computer is too slow for real time. However, nothing wrong with transcribing your notes to computer after the fact.
i have to agree. nothing beats pen and paper for math notes.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
That had crossed my mind, but I'm a way faster typist than I am a printer, and when its on the computer It's legible and easily duplicateable and sendable (as in to friends and teachers).

i have to agree. nothing beats pen and paper for math notes.
So am I giving something like maple to much credit if I believed it was also for note taking ,or could be used for, in real time?

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
The problem is, alot of the math stuff will require keyboard shortcuts and use of pull down menus, both of which will slow down your input rate considerably.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I never understand why high school students want to use laptops in class. It's just not worth it.

I'm a much faster typist than I am a writer, but I still use pen/paper in ALL of my college classes.

Your teacher will not present notes so fast that you won't have time to write them down. You don't need to be a speedy writer to successfully take notes in class.