Math and Science Note Taking/Computational App

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Fearless Leader, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

I'm taking Physics, Chemistry, Algebra 2, and Trigonometry all at the same time this year (Yah I'm insane, just to clear that up) and I'm looking for an application that would allow me to take notes in these classes and compute the equations I'm dealing with.

I was looking at MS office because has handy dandy little tool to write out equations, but not compute them. And then copy over to excel to compute.

Is this an ok system? I use excel and am comfortable with it, but can handle it something like Physics' or Trigonometry equations, or calculus/statistics (what ever the hell else I take) for next year and years to come?

I can pick up a copy of Maple or Mathematica for about the same price. I'm leaning towards Maple because it looks real nice and also because of the licensing horror stories I've heard from Mathematica users.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Are you talking about taking notes real time in class? If so, nothing beats pen and paper, trying to write math on a computer is too slow for real time. However, nothing wrong with transcribing your notes to computer after the fact.

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i have to agree. nothing beats pen and paper for math notes.

4. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

That had crossed my mind, but I'm a way faster typist than I am a printer, and when its on the computer It's legible and easily duplicateable and sendable (as in to friends and teachers).

So am I giving something like maple to much credit if I believed it was also for note taking ,or could be used for, in real time?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The problem is, alot of the math stuff will require keyboard shortcuts and use of pull down menus, both of which will slow down your input rate considerably.

6. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

just use the app called plain old paper and write with a pencil. works best for me, typing math and science notes get messy.

7. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

So what about computation? Would an app like Maple come in handy there?

8. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, Maple is an algebra engine so it will do mathematical computations. Just remember, at some point your instructors may require you to do calculations manually.

9. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

That wont be a problem. As you might have guess I like Math/Science a lot, and am good at it.

10. jellz macrumors regular

11. Fearless Leader thread starter macrumors 68020

Well for a sophmore in High school yes. Especially mine with some pretty tough teachers.

12. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Does one really need a laptop for taking notes in such classes? :confused:

13. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I never understand why high school students want to use laptops in class. It's just not worth it.

I'm a much faster typist than I am a writer, but I still use pen/paper in ALL of my college classes.

Your teacher will not present notes so fast that you won't have time to write them down. You don't need to be a speedy writer to successfully take notes in class.