Math Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Zarkizon, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Zarkizon macrumors member

Sep 10, 2011

Are there any decent apps for writing out math problems?

Currently I am using a whiteboard app that just lets me draw on a hypothetical whiteboard, which is alright I suppose, but I really would like to be able to just punch in numbers and symbols and I have yet to come across any such app.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
  3. Twenty1TEN macrumors member

Sep 5, 2009
    Why be a ****wit for?
  4. michaeljoyce217 macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2011

I am a math graduate student and almost all of us use LaTex. This is a low level programming language. I did a BA and have no computer programming experience but downloaded the program and some templates and worked it out backwards over a spring break. It's really not that hard.

If that sounds like too much work or you're not a graduate student, MS Word has an Equation Editor that works. However, it's pretty slow and clunky and doesn't come out as pretty as LaTex.

You can get an all-in-one free package for LaTex on a Mac at:

You will have to hunt around for a good program if you don't use a Mac but there are many.

Good luck.
  5. Zarkizon thread starter macrumors member

Sep 10, 2011
    Gee, thanks.
  6. Zarkizon thread starter macrumors member

Sep 10, 2011
    LaTex is a bit too advanced for the kind of work that I am trying to accomplish, and the equation editor in MS Word looks almost just about what I am looking for and I will probably try it out, but it's still not exactly what I am trying to do.

I am looking for something more along the lines of an app that has a special kind of text field that I could click on any space and enter a number or variable while keeping everything properly aligned. Maybe LaTex does this, and it appears to have some kind of functionality like that so I will look into it more.

Though it is not something that will be detrimental to me if I can't find the right app, it would certainly be nice to have.
  7. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2011
    Brooklyn, NY
    Equation Calculator ($3.99 on the Mac App Store) is pretty good. It allows for writing out equations and solving complex functions and variables. Fairly simple to use too.