Math on Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by whitefang, Mar 8, 2009.

1. whitefang macrumors 6502

Before, I used to use a Tablet PC to "ink" complex math equations and notes. Since Apple does not have a Tablet PC equivalent (I'm aware of modbook), is there an application for Math where I can type equations?

2. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

You can type equations into spotlight.

3. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

What?

What I meant was that I took notes of equations. I don't need to calculate it, I just need the equation itself.

In pages, I'm writing some notes. Say I need to define a differential equation. I can't type it in because the "symbols" and "formatting" isn't there. Is there a program where I can type and format the equation?

4. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Real equations.

I don't really know, but I've wondered about this myself. Have you heard of LaTeX? It might be what you're looking for, but it's not easy.

5. whitefang thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah lol, Latex is very complex. The syntax is just so complex.

6. mac.v21 macrumors newbie

You may want to try MathMagic as it comes with some free trial period.

MathMagic is basically GUI based equation editor so anybody can type equations or mathematical symbols.

As it also supports LaTeX, if you are fluent in LaTex, you can type or paste LaTeX as well.
    Or if you have some MathML based contents, you can open MathML files or paste MathML expressions into MathMagic window to render it nicely.

MathMagic will help you learn TeX as well.
    If you want to learn TeX, you can copy your equation as TeX so that you can see how the equation is expressed in TeX (or MathML).

If you need to insert your TeX engined generated equations into a word processor document with the baseline aligned automatically, you can bring your TeX equation into MathMagic, and then bring the equation to your word processor, because MathMagic equations are baseline-savvy.

7. htchang1987 macrumors member

You can input equation with Microsoft Office Mac version. However, if you want to avoid M$, then I have no better idea.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

LaTeXit seems like it would work for you. That or Equation Editor/Mathtype.

9. Bullox macrumors newbie

I don't really know if this is what your looking for, but under users/yourname/applications/utilities you'll find Grapher. Put in equations and get your 2D/3D graphs with it :D