Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
Anyone has any experience using Mathematica for OSX? I use the windowz version often and was just wondering how it compares to the osx version or if there are any major differences. Thanks.

Anh

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Its great!!

It works surprisingly similarly to the Windows and Unix versions. The way they wrote it makes it very portable and it translates well to many different systems.

I use it for quantitative research for a financial firm. I do a lot of work with JLink and some with Mathlink. JLink works like a dream on OS X. Graphics are also very good--similar to their Windows counterparts.

Can I ask what you use Mathematica for primarily? I am a big fan of it and try to use it whenever I can for quick projects and research. I love the way it integrates with Java (I'm a big fan of that language as well).

Matthew

chibianh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2001
Colorado
I've began using Mathematica here at school just a couple of months ago. I mostly use it to check answers. However, in one of my classes, we've began using Mathematica to simulate and analyze waves. I will be using Mathematica a lot more in my years to come, I'm sure of it. Do you know if there is anything different between the educational version and the regular one? I can get an educational discount and it would only cost me $299 instead of $1000+. Err, at least I think it's over $1000. Thanks.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Educational version.

The educational version is pretty much identical to the regular version. The exact difference is outlined on Mathematica's site (http://www.wolfram.com). The educational version is a great deal. Well worth the savings.

I finally got Mathematica for OS X just a couple of weeks ago. I got it through a home use license from work which means I have to pay nothing for it. I'd been looking for a long time to find a discounted version of Mathematica because I really wanted it at home. I couldn't find one. And I tried just about every avenue available to me.

In fact, I know the author of JLink who has been a software developer for Mathematica for a very long time. My boss has known him for a while and he has done some consulting for us so I've gotten to know him pretty well. Anyway, I had asked him if there was any way to get a copy of Mathematica for less than retail, and he said the only way was through the educational discount. Bummer.

I was so happy when my boss said we could get home use licenses. Made my year!

Matthew

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.