Mathematics Papers

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by MorphingDragon, Aug 1, 2010.

1. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

The University Calendar says that for my degree says that I need to take 50 points in mathematics. Because I'm abysmal when it comes to calculus I thought I would take Algebra Papers.

Anyway, I still need another 10 points even if I do Algebra up to the 300 paper level, so how relevant is Discrete Mathematics to Computer Science? I know its a bit early and I could just ask the CS/Maths department but, I started half way through the year so I need to think carefully about what papers to take, and the department always says yes to taking mathematics or logic papers. :rolleyes:

http://www.scms.waikato.ac.nz/genqu..._Number&lwhere=unique_record_id=196&children=
    http://calendar.waikato.ac.nz/regulations/bachelor/bcms.html

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The course text for the mathematics course I had to take for the first two years of my degree was Discrete Algorithmic Mathematics. This maths course was tailored to those taking Computer Science degrees.

3. MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

I suppose that answers my question. :confused:

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't see why you are confused: you asked "how relevant is Discrete Mathematics to Computer Science?". I gave a real-world example of a top-tier University course where it was considered very relevant indeed.

5. MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

No I think its more that I was expecting a more yes no answer and that its 2AM in the morning. Took me awhile to interpret your answer.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I forgot that it's tomorrow where you are!

7. MorphingDragon thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

People kept on annoying me and computers failed during the weekend so I couldn't get my media studies essay finished and its due 10AM Today.

Its nearly done and this is how I procrastinate.

8. ThaGrapist macrumors newbie

Discrete mathematics, along with theory of computation (which really builds upon discrete mathematics), are the cornerstone of computer science. In theory, they're very important. In industry not so much.

9. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

Discrete math is a huge field and depending on what industry you go into you could end using huge parts of it. Logic, set theory and probability is used day to day in almost any software job.

Number theory is used if you do anything with cryptology.

Graph theory comes into play if you do anything with networks.

Then you have topics like game theory that are creeping into all software.

10. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Discrete math can be super easy or super hard, depending on the course and such and what is taught. Its especially tough if everything you saw mentioned above plus more gets lumped into one class and you cover a 1200 page book as well in 8 weeks..(I'm on week 5 of that class right now: / )

That being said its is very applicable to all sorts of aspects of computer science. Its very tricky, its a lot of work (in my class we have to write computer programs to assist us in solving our homework so you have math and programming together), and there are a TON of "gotchas" so you have to check everything.

It can be a lot to learn and is overwhelming at times. Make sure you get sets and their notation down pat, they will be used EVERYWHERE. Other then that though it is nice since not everything in discrete math links together so if you get behind in one area, you aren't necessarily screwed in the next area.

Take it though, it will be very useful.

11. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Lol, discrete math IS Computer Science :p.

The theoretical stuff takes a bit to get used to, but it'll teach you to think in a new way that will really benefit you as a Computer Scientist.