MathType 6 + docx

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by telecomm, Oct 4, 2008.

1. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Hi all,

Now that I've started using MathType 6 and Word 2008, I've run into the following problem, and I'm curious to see if it's just me. :)

When an equation is created in a document the baseline alignment in the Word document is correct (i.e., vertically centered). However, after saving that document (as a docx) and closing Word, reopening the document shifts the baseline on either side of the equation. For example, see the attached image (the bottom part). If the document is created and then saved as a doc instead, everything is fine (but as soon as it's saved as a docx file, closed and reopened, choosing Save As... saving as a doc doesn't fix the problem).

Just me?

Attached Files:

2. telecomm thread starter macrumors 65816

telecomm

Hi all,

Well, it's not just me (am I the only one around here using this combination?!).

Anyway, got a reply from Design Science.

So, if you have this problem and chance upon this thread, there's your answer!

3. Mr Nice Guy macrumors member

Mr Nice Guy

Microsoft Word 2008 + Equations = bad!

My experience with Word 2008 is not good at all. I'm doing math quite often and Word doesn't like equations. I'd recomend getting Maple if you are working with equations :)

4. telecomm thread starter macrumors 65816

telecomm

I didn't even know Maple could be used for typesetting, but I think LaTeX has it beat for that, especially on price. ;)

At any rate, docx files handle embedded images better than doc files, and I need to use Word for collaboration. Ideally I'd like to work in docx to avoid the horrible "disk is full..." errors, and then export to doc only as a final step, but this bug is getting in the way.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

6. telecomm thread starter macrumors 65816

telecomm

Must be nice to have your eye for detail. ;)

Anyway, I just wanted to add that the Office 2008 12.1.3 update released yesterday doesn't fix this problem.