Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BioCore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Hello everyone,

I was wondering does anyone here know of any alternatives to mathtype or endnote for use with iWork on Mac? I know that in iWork '09 these two are offered, but they also both come with a good price tag. I would mostly need a mathtype alternative but an endnote one would also be great if there exist any.

What I mean by alternative is free/open source that is.

Thanks.:apple:

Molnies

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
Sweden
No idea about MathType since i haven't had any usage of that, but I do on the other hand use EndNote X2 (great academic rebate). However, it is as you said still a bit pricey, and a great alternative if you use Firefox is Zotero.

BioCore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
MacTex package, I will look into that. Now is it hard to learn how to use the Latex word processor, as I have never tried it before although have heard great things about it.

BioCore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Now do I need to use these applications together or can I also use them with keynote/pages?

BioCore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
At least with LaTeXit you typeset the equation you want, which is then exported as an image you can drop into Keynote.

Ok. Another off tangent question this time, when writing reports or science articles, do many of you prefer to use Mactex or is it easier to use pages/Ms word with LaTeXit?

BioCore

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Hi there again, I noticed that another optional alternative to Zotero or endnote was bibdisk. Is Bibdisk any good or should I stick with using Zotero?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.