Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I have a feeling he'll be regretting these tweets...

EPHNM7n.png

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
He is right. I enjoy running both Windows 8.1 and 10 but it's true some elements of 10 UI like icons and desktop look worse than 8.1. Android has a more polished look and experience overall.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I do agree the desktop icons are either 'retro' (if being kind) or 'criminally outdated' (if being harsh). Compared to some of the beautiful app icons we see in icon packs or on mobile apps on our devices the retro like icons do scream windows NT from 10 years ago

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Is he the moron who made up "material" design? Man I may just sign up for twitter to give him crap. Material design is basically android 1.0 with a flat design, and don't forget blindingly white on slightly off white, which always scores points when playing with the phone in bed and the wife is trying to sleep.

I may not agree with win10, but it sure as hell looks a lot better than Material design, and at least I can invert my OS without inverting graphics.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Is he the moron who made up "material" design? Man I may just sign up for twitter to give him crap. Material design is basically android 1.0 with a flat design, and don't forget blindingly white on slightly off white, which always scores points when playing with the phone in bed and the wife is trying to sleep.

I may not agree with win10, but it sure as hell looks a lot better than Material design, and at least I can invert my OS without inverting graphics.
He's a God in the tech press (the Verge loves him) because he worked on WebOS. Throwing shade like this at the competition is never a good idea.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
That moron is also responsible for Ice Cream Sandwich, the biggest overhaul to Android ever. Is it his fault Android was hideous when he came on board? Without Matias, Android would look far worse today. Cut the guy some slack who created webOS and making an ugly duckling like Android look decent. Now Material Design, I don't like from him.

Jony Ive is just a big of moron for creating the design of iOS7. That lacks any consistency icon palette. They went for a flat design that WP already had since birth. Prior to that, iOS looked cartoony. Now it is stuff for My Little Pony tweens. Duarte has more of a clue than Anandtech writing love letters to Apple.

Throws shade? Let's throw shade to whoever came up with that slang term. Besides, doesn't almost anyone from competing companies talk smack about their rivals all the time? Nothing new here. This is like sports trash talk for gadget nerds.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't like the flat icons on Windows 10, but overall, I think its a vast improvement. Given that he's from google, I'll use a phrase my grandmother used to say. Consider the source. Of course he's going to be negative towards Windows. Both MS and Google have a long history of having a hissy fit towards each other.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Duarte was trolling the Windows engineers. Considering most of all Android users experience with Android is through an OEM skin of some sort....doesn't speak well for stock Android now does it?

"Perhaps, what has many Windows 10 defenders in a tizzy is that Duarte’s comments seemingly come from a place of convenience in regards to Android and Google while also being hypocritical. Android benefits from relatively short lifespan and OEM’s skins being the predominate Android interface most users interact. Furthermore, Google properties are arguably seen as a collection of apps rather than a cohesive operating system in comparison to Windows. With TouchWiz and HTC Sense being the predominate “Android interfaces,” they have allowed Duarte and co, to experiment wildly with design in Android’s short lifespan without public scrutiny with its modest Nexus program. What makes Duarte’s comments odd and hypocritical to many is the fact that even when he’s not talking about design but rather how something works, he’s ignoring the familiarity that accompanies both Android and Google while belittling the engineering behind Windows 10. "

http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows...lat-design-and-more-a-mature-operating-system

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Matias Duarte has an right of opinion as anyone else. He once called Windows Phone tiles look like signs we would see in an airport. But that is HIS OPINION. What is wrong with having one? I think iPhone 6 series is the worst looking iPhone since the 3G series and iOS7 or above looks like crap. But that is MY OPINION. Somebody else might think differently. Cool. Some like red, some like blue, some like something else. Whatever floats your boat. There is no such as the perfect anything like say books or movies because it is impossible to please everyone.

New Windows doesn't appeal to Duarte. Can he not make a comment if it doesn't match his taste? Steve Jobs trash talked his competition all the time. Mac ads talked trash to PC users. All companies talk smack at each other all the time. To me, the best Android firmware is still KitKat 4.4.2 or 4.4.4. Duarte was responsible for that. KitKat and Ice Cream Sandwich were the two best versions of Android. Jelly Bean wasn't to my liking because of RAM issues and battery life. Marshmallow seems ok. Maybe better than JB. The biggest update will always be ICS.

Ironic my two favorite Android versions is based on sweets I love - KitKat and Ice Cream Sandwich.

Reactions: Beeplance

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
This thread makes me want to shake my walkin' cane at you kids these days.
Why you trippin'?.... Put that cane down old man, before I throw some shade your way, better act right before you get smacked right, nah mean? Your attitude aint on fleek right now.

Seriously though, I don't mind W10's look, I actually like it. Its all about the hipster look, putting a modern touch to something old looking with a minimalist and flat design.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Matias Duarte has an right of opinion as anyone else. He once called Windows Phone tiles look like signs we would see in an airport. But that is HIS OPINION. What is wrong with having one? I think iPhone 6 series is the worst looking iPhone since the 3G series and iOS7 or above looks like crap. But that is MY OPINION. Somebody else might think differently. Cool. Some like red, some like blue, some like something else. Whatever floats your boat. There is no such as the perfect anything like say books or movies because it is impossible to please everyone.

New Windows doesn't appeal to Duarte. Can he not make a comment if it doesn't match his taste? Steve Jobs trash talked his competition all the time. Mac ads talked trash to PC users. All companies talk smack at each other all the time. To me, the best Android firmware is still KitKat 4.4.2 or 4.4.4. Duarte was responsible for that. KitKat and Ice Cream Sandwich were the two best versions of Android. Jelly Bean wasn't to my liking because of RAM issues and battery life. Marshmallow seems ok. Maybe better than JB. The biggest update will always be ICS.

Ironic my two favorite Android versions is based on sweets I love - KitKat and Ice Cream Sandwich.

A right to an opinion is not a right to not be criticized for it.

Reactions: Fancuku

Renzatic

Suspended
Why you trippin'?.... Put that cane down old man, before I throw some shade your way, better act right before you get smacked right, nah mean? Your attitude aint on fleek right now.

If my goiter weren't flaring up right now, I'd totally launch into a diatribe about how you little bastids don't have no respect for your elders, and it scares me to think that one day you'll be the ones paying my social security.

...but, you know, my goiter. Also, it's 6 AM. It's almost time to put my track suit on, so I can go walk laps around the mall.

Reactions: sracer and Tsepz

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
He is right though. The legacy baggage of Windows is ridiculous. It still has the same ****** next-next-next-finish install routine, limited search and lots of inconsistency that is thankfully being patched out. I mean sure, it's ok to use and runs really well but if they would get some better UI designers and let go of some legacy software support they could have a great OS.

IMO the material design in Android Lollipop is the first Android version that actually looks decent. There are still plenty of UI and UX blunders like the none/priority/all notification thing but overall I feel Android is doing quite decently.

Renzatic

Suspended
He is right though. The legacy baggage of Windows is ridiculous. It still has the same ****** next-next-next-finish install routine, limited search and lots of inconsistency that is thankfully being patched out. I mean sure, it's ok to use and runs really well but if they would get some better UI designers and let go of some legacy software support they could have a great OS.

I can agree with you about the old install process. While it's not terrible, it is pretty clunky overall, especially compared to the more streamlined process on OSX.

But I don't see how search is more limited than what you get in Spotlight.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
If my goiter weren't flaring up right now, I'd totally launch into a diatribe about how you little bastids don't have no respect for your elders, and it scares me to think that one day you'll be the ones paying my social security.

...but, you know, my goiter. Also, it's 6 AM. It's almost time to put my track suit on, so I can go walk laps around the mall.
LOL!

I literally laughed out loud! Well played.

alex2792

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009

IMO the material design in Android Lollipop is the first Android version that actually looks decent. There are still plenty of UI and UX blunders like the none/priority/all notification thing but overall I feel Android is doing quite decently.

Getting rid of backwards compatibility would be suicide. I'm sure that users would be super excited to find that 99% of their software no longer works with new Windows. That would be like Apple making newOS X version only work with iOS apps.

Reactions: diamond.g

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Getting rid of backwards compatibility would be suicide. I'm sure that users would be super excited to find that 99% of their software no longer works with new Windows. That would be like Apple making newOS X version only work with iOS apps.

That's why I said SOME. There's always virtual machines etc to run old crap. I would rather see developers have to update their software to use the latest APIs, modern UI design and be able to install programs easier than keep hanging on to the old with all their might. Apple managed to shed its legacy baggage quite nicely with OSX and now the only apps that look like **** and work like that are generally Linux ports.

All it would need for now would be enforcing some rules like if you want to have your app on the Windows Store it has to be written with components supported by Win10 and follow the design language (unless custom UI software).

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
That's why I said SOME. There's always virtual machines etc to run old crap. I would rather see developers have to update their software to use the latest APIs, modern UI design and be able to install programs easier than keep hanging on to the old with all their might. Apple managed to shed its legacy baggage quite nicely with OSX and now the only apps that look like **** and work like that are generally Linux ports.

All it would need for now would be enforcing some rules like if you want to have your app on the Windows Store it has to be written with components supported by Win10 and follow the design language (unless custom UI software).
They already did something like that and it was a complete and utter failure (RT).

I'm the real world where **** gets done, getting ride or backwards compability on Windows which 99 percent of the world runs on, would be utter stupidity and suicide. Plus I like the fact microsoft have such a great backwards compability support.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Matias Duarte is THE MAN. Palm's webOS and Android 4.0+ are big deals to me in mobile software history. He gets criticism for Material Design but Jony Ive doesn't get it after iOS7 for being a god in physical designs?

Matias also is buddies with Josh Topolsky on The Verge. Speaking of Josh, doesn't he look like Adam Driver the actor who will portray Kylo Ren?

could-kylo-ren-jeopardise-star-wars-episode-7-actual-screen-shots-confirmed-432479.jpg

Nah.

vader.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.