MatLab needs more RAM? OpenGL?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by happylau, Mar 27, 2008.

1. happylau macrumors member

Hello,

I recently bought a Macbook Pro, 2.4G, 200GB HDD, 256MB graphic card, 2GB RAM.

I used it mainly to do Image Processing programs with MatLab, which are pretty heavy.

Sometimes MatLab says it has run out of memory and my only option is to quit the program and restart it again. (Clear all doesn't work!) I don't know if that means it uses all the RAM, but the other day I was using Time Machine+MatLab+surfing and on iStat Pro it said I only had 100MB of free RAM and the programs were going really slow.

Should I update to 4gb? I've seen memory in Newegg for 78$ (Kingston) that everybody says works very nice.

Apart from that, what's that thing abut OpenGL with MatLab?? Is it related to the memory you use (Ram or graphics card??)

Thank you!

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. happylau thread starter macrumors member

So Kingston is a nice brand? The price seems very good to me.

4. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Yes MatLab is very intensive of memory usage. All that number crunching is cpu & ram intensive. MAX it Out.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Kingston is fine.

6. happylau thread starter macrumors member

Kingston Value RAM NO!!

Right now I've seen people having trouble with the Kingston VALUE RAM (which is the one I was looking for) because their computers crashed more often.
    The Kingston specific RAM for Macbook Pro is $101 which is the same as OWC or Crucial!!

So between these 3, which one should I use?

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They'll all be perfectly OK. So pick whichever is the cheapest or offers the best service... Crucial's is usually pretty good.

8. mrpalmer420 macrumors regular

mrpalmer420

I just got 4GB from OWC for $96 shipped. BTW i ordered the RAM on the same day that i ordered my Refurb iMac and the RAm was delivered yesterday the iMac will not be here until next week.

Man i am getting anxious to get my new mac.

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Where do you see this? I haven't heard of this before...

10. happylau thread starter macrumors member

Many people post their problems with Value RAM in different forums! I think that for $20 less its not worth the possibility of crashing! Specially when you spent $2000 on the machine...