Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
the irony is that something like this will retail for $29 in a few years. if thunderbolt is still around by then. gotta love how technology evolves

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
No FW 400 or 800, no 2nd TB port. No deal. What are they thinking? Looks like a rush to market.

Look, people have different needs and manufacturers are going to produce devices tailored to those needs. As far as docking stations are concerned, this particular device can certainly satisfy the needs of most customers. When you dock a laptop, in most cases you need to connect to a monitor, keyboard, mouse and ethernet. In a corporate world that's probably about 90% of cases. At home, one might add an external hard drive. Very few will need anything else. Why pay for extra ports then? And those who do need extras will buy Belkin o something else.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Yet two more pieces of hardware to carry around with a new light (duty) MBA. Why not just get a proper laptop with all of the right connections built in?

Getting a super thin laptop and then dragging around a bunch of stuff to make it fully functional reminds me of the silliness of getting a post-PC-world iPad, then a Bluetooth keyboard and a case to carry all of it it that effectively converts the iPad into a really weak laptop.

The sacrifices some people make for style . . .

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
The problem with these TB products, price. $249 is a lot of money for this.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
I just don't see the point of these things. Too few ports. Too expensive. Is Thunderbolt made of Latinum or something?

Somebody do the maths for me, please. I just don't know where to start…
  • Thunderbolt pass through
  • 5 FireWire ports
  • 7 USB ports
  • Analogue or digital audio and video, if you must, but I really can't see the point
  • Ethernet and anything else Apple's determined to take away, ditto
If a Thunderbolt break-out box had this, for under $100, would we buy it?

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Another Thunderbolt failure. A single TB port means it has to be last in line and can't daisy chain anything else onto it. No way I'll buy it. (just like I don't buy FW devices with a single port).

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Maybe Apple is depending on things like this to take care of the pro market in the future...

If that's the case, pros should not be depending on Apple.

The 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display *is* Apple's answer to the docking station. It provides power, USB, Firewire, Ethernet, speakers, display, camera, and extends the Thunderbolt port. You could hardly ask for more in a docking station, although you might ask for less!

One certainly could ask for a docking station for less than $1000 !!

TheRdungeon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2011
Does anyone know why these things don't include 2 HDMI ports? would love to hook up two displays, even two dvi ports would be fine by me

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
I'm not sure I get the appeal for this product.
You can simply:

- get a USB hub if you wanted more ports
- use a dongle for DVI
- use a dongle for ethernet

All will cost less than $249. If it had another thunderbolt and firewire it would make sense, but without it, I don't get it.

Leo

What dongle gives you gigabit Ethernet? Or USB 3?

This is a convenience product. It's so you only have to connect one cable when you arrive at your desk.

Funny people call this a rip off when Apple's display is priced at least this much over a similar sized display.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
DisplayPort

Does the DVI support 2560 x 1600? I have a 30" Dell monitor. Why not offer a DisplayPort or mini displayport instead of just the big DVI connector.

Otherwise this looks great!

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
249 € and this thing is as ugly as possible? Well, at least it got TWO ridiculously large Matrox logos.

In my view, any new TB products help adoption, and this certainly seems useful. The physical appearance seems just "dull" to me, but I wouldn't go as far as saying "as ugly as possible". I'm pretty sure the designers weren't thinking that...:rolleyes:

Suspended
Jul 18, 2009
Windows 7

Now I just need this to work with Windows 7 or 8 from sleeping computer WITHOUT a restart!!

deftdrummer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
San Diego
Yet two more pieces of hardware to carry around with a new light (duty) MBA. Why not just get a proper laptop with all of the right connections built in?

Getting a super thin laptop and then dragging around a bunch of stuff to make it fully functional reminds me of the silliness of getting a post-PC-world iPad, then a Bluetooth keyboard and a case to carry all of it it that effectively converts the iPad into a really weak laptop.

Pot. Kettle. Black. - The irony.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Compared to proprietary docking stations, this isn't too bad. Hopefully the USB 3.0 port will work right on any Thunderbolt Mac once Mountain Lion is available. In any case, it's good to see more players in the Thunderbolt peripheral market.

----------

For starters, this can be left on a desktop and used in lieu of a traditional docking station. Also, it isn't' like road warriors always need access to all of their equipment. My current 5.5lb "thin and light" HP Elitebook requires me to lug around an optical drive, VGA port, modem port, and other legacy devices even though I don't need them 99% of the time.

If my employer would let me use my MacBook Air for work, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

york2600

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
It's a docking station

The use case here is a docking station. A lot of us take our laptops between a work desk and a home office. This would be very useful for docking quickly between the two. Right now I have power, ethernet, and 2 USB plugged into my laptop in my home office. I'd love to turn that into power and TB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.