Matrox DS1 (Mini Review)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by krkh99, May 2, 2013.

1. krkh99, May 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 2, 2013

krkh99 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am from Malaysia. :)

I just got my Matrox DS1 yesterday and so far it has been running flawlessly. I bought the item from OWC.

The unit is driverless. So all I had to do was power on the Matrox DS1 and connect the Thunderbolt cable.

The gigabit ethernet works without any issues. I was able to charge and sync my iPhone 5 using the rear USB 2.0 port and also hook up my Apple wired keyboard to the other rear USB 2.0 port.

The front USB 3.0 port works as well. It detected my external USB 3.0 hard disk. Somehow when the hard disk is connected to the Matrox DS1, my Apple Magic Mouse connection became less accurate. It was as if there was some sort of interference coming from the USB 3.0 port on the Matrox DS1.

I have not tested the input and output jacks as I already have an audio interface (Echo AudioFire 4).
    (Link to my Echo AudioFire 4 unboxing video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyK5GBcn_88

The device does get warm to the touch, certainly warmer than my Echo AudioFire 4.

I have posted an unboxing video of the Matrox DS1 on YouTube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em-7x-_sYo4

If anyone would like me to do additional testing, please do let me know.

Thanks guys!
    :)

2. tengtengvn macrumors member

tengtengvn

1x Thunderbolt
    1x USB 3.0 (maximum theoretical data transfer speed of 2.5Gbps)
    2x USB 2.0
    1x Gigabit Ethernet

Wow, that's a lot of useful ports right there.

3. theluggage macrumors 68030

I think the only selling point of the Matrox over the competition (Belkin, Caldigit, Sonnet) is that it actually exists (although the Belkin has apparently now started shipping).

If they'd managed to put 3x USB3 ports and a TB daisychain on it then it might have been a keeper - esp. for 2011 Macs with no onboard USB3.

Hoping that the Sonnet dock materialises as specced (or, better still, with a bring-your-own-optical-drive option). If you're going to pay the entry fee for Thunderbolt you might as well throw in the kitchen sink.

4. fortysomegeek macrumors regular

Can you go to about Mac and do some screenshots? I am curious to know what chipset is running the:

ethernet - chipset. who makes it? broadcom?
    USB - who makes it? VIA? I am curious to know if it operates at full 5.0 Gbps. The belkin runs at 2.5
    Same for video if possible.

----------

That is just plain silly. Why? All that USB bandwidth to one port. We don't even know if it runs at 5 Gbp/s or 2.5. I wonder what happens when he plugs in a mouse to that hub and two drives and see what happens when he tries to make copy from USB 3.0 disk to USB 3.0 disk on the same hub.

It would be OK to have a few USB sticks and maybe 1 or 2 drives. But if he plans to fill up all those slots with USB 3.0 devices that run at full 5Gbp/s, he is going to be in for some trouble.

Since he is running a 17" ,He should have gotten a tried and test dual slot USB 3.0 expresscard.

http://www.amazon.com/GMYLE®-Expres...367600771&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+3.0+expresscard

[​IMG]

$7.00. I have of these running in my Thinkpad laptop that doesn't have USB 3.0