Matte Black iPhone with Apple Tan Leather Case!!!

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
The combination of the matte black iPhone and Apple Tan leather case, does not get much attention. Many gravitate to the darker case colors, particularly black.

However, I find it to be a very elegant combination that offers a nice counter balance to the starkness and stealth blackness of the phone. I tried the phone with the saddle brown and much prefer the Tan. The Tan case has the additional benefit of making it easier to find the black phone on a dark surface. Check it out.

Reactions: danny8200

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
Here is another picture. Can you see it?
Nice....
I'm thinking this is the case I'll go with as well...could you post a photo of the back of the case? On the Apple website it looks like more of a goldish tan rather than a true tan. Thanks!!

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
Not until late tonight. Can I do that with only one iPhone ?

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
Got the saddle brown but now thinking I should've got this tan....

Wonder how it would darken/patina over time?
I have the saddle brown for my 6S plus and love it but I'm really glad to see the tan offered this year...I've owned many natural tan leather products and they take on a really dramatic patina with use...more so than the saddle brown. With enough use it will eventually turn darker shades of brown.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

Boardiesboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
I have the saddle brown for my 6S plus and love it but I'm really glad to see the tan offered this year...I've owned many natural tan leather products and they take on a really dramatic patina with use...more so than the saddle brown. With enough use it will eventually turn darker shades of brown.
Maybe i need to get both hahah

Would you say a new saddle brown would be how a tan would look further down the track?

Or would they both turn into a similar dark brown?

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I had the Tan. Then switched to the saddle brown. It did not suit my needs and switched back to the Tan. With the Tan case, I found it much easier to locate the phone on a dark surface. This has proven to be an issue for me, having switched from gold/silver. This is my first black phone since 2012. The location issue has proven more consequential then I might have thought. Have g the Tan case does help.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
Maybe i need to get both hahah

Would you say a new saddle brown would be how a tan would look further down the track?

Or would they both turn into a similar dark brown?
Not sure what you meant re: question about the saddle brown...spell check gone wrong? Lol

The tan has the potential to become just as dark as the saddle tan depending on use...if you want to give it a head start, use some leather conditioner or oil on it. I really prefer to let it just naturally evolve with time and use though.

Boardiesboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2013
Sydney Australia
Not sure what you meant re: question about the saddle brown...spell check gone wrong? Lol
Thanks for the response!

I meant would a darkened tan look similar to a brand new saddle brown (I was half asleep typing in bed lol)

Your second response answered the question tho! :)

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2002
Thanks for the response!

I meant would a darkened tan look similar to a brand new saddle brown (I was half asleep typing in bed lol)

Your second response answered the question tho! :)
Good! Also, if you condition it and place it in the sun, it'll speed up the darkening process even more.

Last edited:

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
I'd probably get an apple leather case if it covered the bottom of the phone.

Brandon, why would you want to cover the bottom of the phone, if it has a speaker there? I suppose you could get a case with holes on the bottom, but why?

jaybar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2008
The lower left and right corners are protected. Unless you drop it on a surface that is bumpy or protrudes upward, I would immagine the case should suffice.

I have used Apple leather cases for years without incident.

It also depends on your preferences. Cases that really protect the phone, all over and under a variety of conditions,can add both bulk and weight. I like the Apple cases, ecause they offer some protection without adding much bulk/weight. I like where Apple has made the trade off. Others may choose differently.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
The lower left and right corners are protected. Unless you drop it on a surface that is bumpy or protrudes upward, I would immagine the case should suffice.

I have used Apple leather cases for years without incident.

It also depends on your preferences. Cases that really protect the phone, all over and under a variety of conditions,can add both bulk and weight. I like the Apple cases, ecause they offer some protection without adding much bulk/weight. I like where Apple has made the trade off. Others may choose differently.
Yeah I might look into getting one. Or look at one in person at bestbuy.

borgsauce

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2016
Does anyone know what is covered under the 1 year warranty for the Apple leather cases? Has anyone gotten a replacement beyond the 14days usage?

Reactions: AppleFanatic10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.