iPhone 11 Pro Matte bump looks so much better!

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I know this is just a matter of opinion, but I picked up a $10, thin matte plastic case on Amazon for my iPhone 11 Pro Max (which I'll only use if I go somewhere with a great risk of dropping - DisneyLand, etc) and it actually extends over the camera bump, with cutouts for the lenses, flash and mic. Pic attached. Naked on the left, matte case on the right.

Personally, I think it looks so much better than the glossy bump, plus it's no longer a fingerprint magnet. I wonder why Apple thought that non-matte was a good idea for the Pro's camera bump?

matte_bump.jpg

Wingzfan61

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
I know this is just a matter of opinion, but I picked up a $10, thin matte plastic case on Amazon for my iPhone 11 Pro Max (which I'll only use if I go somewhere with a great risk of dropping - DisneyLand, etc) and it actually extends over the camera bump, with cutouts for the lenses, flash and mic. Pic attached. Naked on the left, matte case on the right.

Personally, I think it looks so much better than the glossy bump, plus it's no longer a fingerprint magnet. I wonder why Apple thought that non-matte was a good idea for the Pro's camera bump?

View attachment 861551

Care to link to the case?

MacDevil7334

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
The glossy bump doesn’t really have a surface large enough to get a fingerprint on. Honestly, if you’re seeing fingerprints on the glossy surface, there’s a good chance you are getting fingerprints on the camera lenses too. As to why Apple made the surface glossy, it was likely to draw people’s eyes to the new camera system.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Care to link to the case?
Sure: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X933NGM/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_dtIHDb7XGX6C7

I bought mine in Japan, and it's even less expensive here - about $7 or so. Anyway it fits perfectly, it's only .3mm thick so it's unobtrusive - of course, it doesn't really offer any drop protection, either. But for me, it's more to be able to set the phone down on outdoor tables without worrying about scratches, or being able to hand the phone to people to take pictures, without cringing quite as much. It's a cool little case ... no branding whatsoever (which is why I'll never buy a Spigen case, or a SwitchEasy or whatever - these two-bit companies insist on plastering their name all over the case, and it drives me nuts. lol) and it's thin enough to not really make pocketing the phone any more difficult. I'm tempted to leave it on all the time, but I really like the look of the stainless steel band, etc.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
Does it affect the flash at all? I.e. reflect the flash back into picture causing the image to be washed out? That was a problem I experience with cases too close to the flash on the iPhone 4/5 because the camera wasn’t raised away from the case.

mavis

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Does it affect the flash at all? I.e. reflect the flash back into picture causing the image to be washed out? That was a problem I experience with cases too close to the flash on the iPhone 4/5 because the camera wasn’t raised away from the case.
Good question. I never use the flash (when taking pictures, I mean) but I'll check it tomorrow and post back.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
The glossy bump doesn’t really have a surface large enough to get a fingerprint on. Honestly, if you’re seeing fingerprints on the glossy surface, there’s a good chance you are getting fingerprints on the camera lenses too. As to why Apple made the surface glossy, it was likely to draw people’s eyes to the new camera system.
I’m still getting used to the smaller size of the 11 Pro so I’ve touched it a few times near the bottom camera, but that’s easy to wipe down with a micro fiber cloth.