Matte Display = Grey not black Bezel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AndyCro, Jan 6, 2009.

1. AndyCro macrumors member

An odd aesthetic choice there

Surely a Black bezel would have kept the range more cohesive..

It will look a bit like the missing link as for me the MBA is akin to the old Macbooks with its thick grey bezel.

As welcome the matte bezel is, what is people's thoughts?

2. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I like it, it gives it the classic mbp look but the new form factor gives it the new generation feel. If I were getting one I'd be getting the matte over the glossy, but the bevel isn't really the deciding factor for the choice.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

This is what ALL of the new MacBooks should have looked like. Coupled with a silver keyboard, they would be amazing looking machines.

It's just unfortunate Apple spoiled them all with the ugly black rim and the ugly black keyboard.

4. MBX macrumors 65816

I'm surprised as well, a bit inconsistent. I'd have enjoyed the black bezel with the anti-glare but the grey is fine with me too. anti-glare in the end is more important to me.

I'd love to see hi-res pics of the anti-glare version but i doubt these are showing up anytime soon since apple only posts the black bezel versions on their site.

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

they do have a high res image of the 17" matte macbook pro on the apple site. Don't go to store but click on mac, then macbook pro, then 17 inch features.

I'm really really hoping they offer it for the 15" SOON. As i'll definitely purchase it if they do so.

It has the chicklet keyboard i like, beautiful matte screen, and gorgeous silver bezel. Yay! c'mon Apple! hurry up!

6. hvp macrumors newbie

Still can't see the pic you mean, can you link to it for us!?

Thanks!

7. RyanF2009 macrumors member

Link :)

8. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

They should make it more clear on their website. I could swear that there were not any aesthetic difference between the Matte and Glossy screens. There will be lots of pissed off people out there.

They can get rid of the black keys anytime and use the silver ones again but the black around the screen should be kept as is or at least use a Matte Black Border.

9. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I agree. Matte black would have been very nice.

10. 173080 macrumors 6502

The silver border is much more elegant. The black border was very HP-like.

I'm very happy about the matte option. That was the dealbreaker for me on the unibody MBP.

11. detz macrumors 65816

Do we know this for a fact...it seems odd they would make a change like this based of a $45 addon. I like the silver much better(in pictures) and I think having that is almost worth the $45 alone.

12. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

well, I'm 99% certain that if Apple lists it on their site it's a fact. Unless someone made a mistake, but i highly doubt it.

well, it shouldn't be $45 since matte/glossy were always options you never had to pay for, but I guess since so many people made noise about not having matte, Apple saw their chance to appease the masses and make a quick buck. Very clever if you ask me :cool:

hope hope hope they put it on the 15" too

13. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

If the matte display ends up having a black bezel, it will be worthless.

As anyone with even a glimmer of knowledge about picture framing knows, a solid, jet black border will make printed blacks within the image appear washed out. That's why picture frame mattes are generally neutral tones.

This is less of a problem with gloss screens because image blacks are deeper. But with a matte screen, with blacks exhibiting less intensity, a deep black border would be awful.

People saying they prefer a black bezel for a matte screen clearly have no clue about color and tonal matters, which makes one wonder why they need a matte display in the first place.

14. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

like the awesome cinema displays. And Apple's engineers choosing the proper silver finish that was neutral to colors.

I completely agree with you Sir. *tips hat*

15. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

The moment the image changed over to the silver border I thought wow that looks much better! they should have kept it like that.

To me the black border only looks ok when the computer is off, it makes the screen look bigger :p

16. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Haha... nice way of putting it. :D
    And I agree... I much prefer the Silver bezel and can only hope that Apple will do the decent thing and offer the non-glossy screen as an option throughout their notebook lineup.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The matte option is really a great thing. Highlight of MWSF, which is kind of sad.

18. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

I personally like the black bezel. And after using a glossy screen for a year, I have to say I prefer it to a matte one most of the time. I did not buy a glossy by choice, it was a good deal. But like I said, it grew on me.

19. Sir Cecil macrumors 6502a

I think Apple has made all the right decisions here. The gloss screens look fine with the black border. And the matte screens will work beautifully with the neutral gray/silver.
    Now the logic of their design is all the clearer.
    No doubt, if they introduce matte 15" models and a matte cinema display, they too will feature a neutral bezel.
    The black keys will work aesthetically with both versions. And in any case, while I was fond of the appearance of the old silver keys, I find the strong visual contrast of the black keys more practical.
    With the 17" added image quality, the matte screen and appropriate bezel, plus the increased battery time, I'd suggest this will be the finest Macbook Pro ever. It looks like it's going to be a wonderful machine.

PS: The photo of the 17" with neutral bezel doesn't show the keyboard. I wonder if they will change the color of the keys on that model too? Anything's possible. Are they on display at MacWorld?

20. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Agreed, the matte screen with the silver border is MUCH better. The black border looks like rhino dung.

21. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I personally like the black bezel, which ties together with the look of the black keys, and from a usability standpoint black offers a distraction-free neutral border; however, in this case I can see why Apple is responding to popular demand.

22. island macrumors 6502

island

I'm hoping someone takes a shot of a Matte one soon, if there even is one on display..

23. Weepul macrumors regular

As I thought would be necessary, looks like there's no second overlay of glass - just the screen, and a metal bezel for strength. Heck, that's how they should have built the glossy one...

24. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Apparently Apple didn't bring any "matte" 17" MBP's to MacWorld. Boggles my mind that. :confused:

There's a small comment about this, posted in reply to this article.

25. migsev macrumors regular

here's hoping the current 15's can be matted.:(