Matte film on top of Otterbox Defender?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by toke lahti, May 20, 2012.

1. toke lahti macrumors 68000

"Matte" or "Anti glare".
    Is there any of those with already right size to put on top of Otterbox Defender (for the New iPad..)?
    Any recommendations?

I'd like to keep original screen protector in place, if something hits the screen.

Optimal solution would be easily re-detachable one, that could be put on in a uncontrollable light situation, but you could leave it off, when possible.

Btw, is there any scale used in anywhere to measure how "matte" these films are?

2. Azzin macrumors 68040

3. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

Only problem is that the biggest reason for me for using Defender is having that screen protector.
    If something hits the screen or ipad is dropped, Defender's protector helps more than these paperthin films that protects merely scratches.
    Also having the original glued, it also prevents moisture getting inside the case.

But if you know any optically good matte screen protector that has smae protection aspects than the original one, let me know!
    Maybe it could be even glued to the Defender's bezel...

4. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

Finally I replaced Belkin's matte screen which has been on top of otterbox Defender for ipad3.
    It had annoyed me from the beginning, because I got some dust particles under it when it was installed and I knew that it can't be attached again.
    Then I got Boxwave's "Anti-glare for ipad3" and managed to make clean install, but the dissapointment was huge, when I noticed that it isn't even closely as matte as Belkin was. Boxwave has sharp reflections, even the same caliber as the original Defender.

I just wish these shield / film producers would start to give numerical values about how matte their matte really is.
    Right now this is like blind trying to find a needle-in-a-haystack.
    I'd guess these sellers order or manufactures their products with some specs. All they had to do is tell them to their customers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_appearance#Basic_types_of_light_reflection

It wouldn't be very hard to get familiar with haze/Lambertian values.

Or even nicer would be if Otterbox started to sell matte variation of Defender.

5. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

question

do they have a matte finish to help with the glare ?

6. toke lahti thread starter macrumors 68000

If you mean Otterbox for "they", they sadly don't have any options for screen shield. And they don't tell the specs of their shields either. My daughter's galaxy s3 has really nice matte finish in its Defender, my ip4s's Defender has much worse glare.
    But since ipad's screen is so much bigger and it's heavier to tilt and move all the time to get rid of all the glances, I found it having matte is most important to me. Maybe also because I don't concentrate so much about reading with iphone's small screen than with ipad's large one.

I think this is a big problem for conscious consumer. Manufacturers / sellers don't give any specs about their "matte" or "anti-glare" products and usually you can't compare these products before buying them.