Matte or Glossy for Gaming and PhotoShop?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xDeathReaperx, Jun 1, 2010.

1. xDeathReaperx macrumors regular

Simple question, I don't need you to post an entire essay on which is better.

(Thanks in advance)

My question: Matte (Antiglare or Glossy for Gaming and PhotoShop?

Poll: [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks MacRumors, Love the site!

2. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Get the glossy, you're going to need to see the richer colors if you're serious about your photoshop and gaming.

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I prefer, but currently don't have, matte. I do mostly Photoshop work and I do not want rich color, I want accurate colors so my prints match my calibrated monitor, and so others with calibrated monitors can see what I see. Calibration with a color sensor is critical for serious work. Glossy is useless if your work environment has bright areas behind you.

4. djwobble macrumors regular

I always thought I'd prefer matte but I have glossy on the mac book pro i am trying to sell now and the next one i buy will be glossy. And I do photoshop

5. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

Well what kind of "Photoshop"?

Are you a serious user who actually needs to see accurate colours for print, web, presentation etc; or just a casual user who makes 'sigs and stuff'? I prefer matte for both.

6. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Matte. If you can, calibrate what ever you buy. But looking at the machines in the store with the same photos, the glossy loses some detail in the very dark areas. If you look close, you can see more detail on the matte in the dark areas of a photo.
    However, the glossy does give the "wow" factor, matte, not so much.

7. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

+1

For photoshop the reflections can be very annoying when working with slightly different shades of colors and you absolutely don't want reflections when running through a dark dungeon. ;)

8. Baycon macrumors member

Photoshop about 10 to 14 hours a day here (professionally that is). I work on an iMac 27" i5 and a new MBP 15" i7. Debated for a while on this matter, and ended getting the glossy MBP screen.

The reflection issues are minimal for me (move a little bit/tilt the screen), especially compared to the iBook g4 I've had for many years (matte screen on that...since back then "Matte" was what you got) and I much prefer to have a consistent environment between all my work stations.

Now, if I could get myself a powerful mac with a large IPS monitor (HP ZR30w whaaaat), I might say otherwise.

In all honesty, if you're a *Serious* photographer / graphic artist / designer (or any visual art) you should have a static screen/ workstation (to work on more than a 15" or 17" surface). If you can't, the glossy vs matte debate should really come down on where you will use it (I.E. : do you work mainly on your balcony? In a weirdly lit office? A dark basement?).

I can say that, whether I'm using a matte, or a glossy...when there's reflection on either of them, I can't work properly (the matte has this big, soft-ish "hot spot", while the glossy is simply a specular reflection).

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

You need to check them both out in person to make a decision (other people's opinion doesn't count since you will be the one using it). Of equal concern should be the tiny fonts on the high res screen and if the font size is an issue for you.

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I prefer glossy, but as soon as PS is mentioned Matte, assuming of course there will be no external monitors.

11. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I went for a Matte model for doing the same sort of thing you are doing. Although my reasoning is I kinda got tired of the reflections of the glossy. And I am definitely not disappointed! The matte is still amazing to look at and colors look a lot more accurate when calibrated. Contrast is a lot better on my new i7 compared to my Late 2008 Aluminum MacBook, which is kind of a given, but still.

12. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

I'd say whatever you like best. Go and try them out and see for yourself.

13. xDeathReaperx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks your input was actually the most helpful. I couldn't decide who to listen to lol :D

I'm going to wait until after WWDC to see if Apple releases in minor updates just in case.. It's only a week away anyways.

Thanks all :D