Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
I don't want to discuss the whole glossy versus matte issue... I just prefer matte and I've long been happy with my MBP. Now I replaced it with a Penryn MBP, and while I ordered matte, I'm not so sure I got one.

The screen is nowhere near what a MacBook looks like, but it's certainly different from my old matte screen. I couldn't shave using it as a mirror, but I can certainly see my fingers moving and lights leave a very solid shape. It's enough that I find it annoying.

Do the Penryn have shinier matte displays, or did I get the wrong one?
Is there a way to say for sure (maybe the Panel ID)?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I don't want to discuss the whole glossy versus matte issue... I just prefer matte and I've long been happy with my MBP. Now I replaced it with a Penryn MBP, and while I ordered matte, I'm not so sure I got one.

The screen is nowhere near what a MacBook looks like, but it's certainly different from my old matte screen. I couldn't shave using it as a mirror, but I can certainly see my fingers moving and lights leave a very solid shape. It's enough that I find it annoying.

I believe it would say Glossy on the box sticker as well as on the sticker that is under the battery.

The MBP glossys are indeed less "shiny"/glossy than the macbooks are. They are quite nice.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2004

my MBP Penryn Matt screen is definitely shinier than my 4 year old PowerBook, but it's still matt. The best way to tell is to slide your finger across it, if you get a squeaky feel then it's glossy, if it's a bit rough with no squeak, it's matt :D

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
Hmm, neither sticker says glossy or matte. I believe that implies a matte screen. But the screen feels very smooth and not rough as my old one.

Anyway, googling for MBP glossy and "sticker" finally gave me some results: Apparently I'm not the only one questioning his screen's matteness. :)

I wish I could just go to an Apple Store and compare, but there are none around...

npep

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
I have been trying to figure out the same thing on my mbp...I think mine is matte, but it looks very similiar to the macbook screen. No glossy sticker for me or anything else that says matte or glossy.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
how about you fellas take a picture and post it up for all of us to determine. :)

make sure you have some sort of reflection on it too.

all MBPs i believe come matte by default

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
Hmm, neither sticker says glossy or matte. I believe that implies a matte screen. But the screen feels very smooth and not rough as my old one.

Anyway, googling for MBP glossy and "sticker" finally gave me some results: Apparently I'm not the only one questioning his screen's matteness. :)

I wish I could just go to an Apple Store and compare, but there are none around...

If it doesn't say anything on the box then it's 100% guaranteed that it's matte. It says glossy if it's glossy but nothing if it's matte.

kwfl

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2007
i have 2 macs now (MBP and iMac)
if only i could use the time machine now and go back at the instant i placed my orders, i would choose matt. :(

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
how about you fellas take a picture and post it up for all of us to determine. :)

make sure you have some sort of reflection on it too.

It's now dark outside here :) and lamp reflections don't show correctly on the iphone cam. I'll post a window shot tomorrow/later tonight.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
it looks matte to me.

Ever since the SR Macbook Pros, the finish of the matte screens has be come more reflective, towards glossy looking.

The second generation MBPs had "grainy" matte LCD panels of which many complained about. I think these panels were supposed to be better in terms of graininess, hence the different matte finish on the panel.

Glossy would have sharp qualities in the reflection. Notice how it gets muddy towards the palm rest in the reflection. Glossy does not exhibit this characteristic. Take a look at a macbook and you will see what glossy is.

But yours is matte. Let this be known to all other "is this glossy or matte" threads. :)

for future reference. Matte on left (looks like a 2nd gen) and glossy on right. Glossy MBP will look the same.
209855018_e693be173d.jpg

burningrave101

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008
The simple rule of thumb is to take your MBP into a brightly lit room and do a little dance in front of it. If you see a retard in your laptop display then it's glossy.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
It's now dark outside here :) and lamp reflections don't show correctly on the iphone cam. I'll post a window shot tomorrow/later tonight.

That's matte. The reflection would have much sharper definition if it was glossy.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
Ever since the SR Macbook Pros, the finish of the matte screens has be come more reflective, towards glossy looking.

The second generation MBPs had "grainy" matte LCD panels of which many complained about. I think these panels were supposed to be better in terms of graininess, hence the different matte finish on the panel.
[...]
for future reference. Matte on left (looks like a 2nd gen) and glossy on right. Glossy MBP will look the same.
209855018_e693be173d.jpg

Thanks a lot. That explains it perfectly.
My old one was a 2nd gen and looked exactly like that, so the difference was quite distinct. (And everybody keeps raving how the MBP glossy was barely reflective...)

RatSalad

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
Central Florida
The simple rule of thumb is to take your MBP into a brightly lit room and do a little dance in front of it. If you see a retard in your laptop display then it's glossy.

That is great! When I worked in a scuba shop and when people would try on a wetsuit after putting it on I would tell them to jump up and down on one foot. After awhile and they were sweating they asked "Why I am doing this?" I would just say I just wanted to see if you would do it. :D

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
One is shiny, the other is dull.

If you seriously cannot tell then you have a Matte.

Im a little frightened

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
i haven't tried this myself but they said this is definitely THE 100% way of knowing if it's a glossy or a matte.

1. get a blade. the sharper the better
2. your goal is to make a 2-5 inch line on your lcd screen, pls be careful not to puncture it in the process.
3. make a 2-5 inch incision on your LCD, be careful not to scratch the bezel.
4. now get a mirror.
5. do the same 2-5 inch line on the mirror.
6. compare. if it's similar to the line on the mirror then it's a glossy.
7. make an early appointment at the genius bar for LCD replacement " not" covered by applecare.
8. post some pictures.. don't forget your personal passport size picture.

Now, Aren't you glad you're 100% sure it is a glossy?:D

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
i haven't tried this myself but they said this is definitely THE 100% way of knowing if it's a glossy or a matte.

1. get a blade. the sharper the better
2. your goal is to make a 2-5 inch line on your lcd screen, pls be careful not to puncture it in the process.
3. make a 2-5 inch incision on your LCD, be careful not to scratch the bezel.
4. now get a mirror.
5. do the same 2-5 inch line on the mirror.
6. compare. if it's similar to the line on the mirror then it's a glossy.
7. make an early appointment at the genius bar for LCD replacement " not" covered by applecare.
8. post some pictures.. don't forget your personal passport size picture.

Now, Aren't you glad you're 100% sure it is a glossy?:D

Or maybe you can just see if the display is fingerprint magnet?

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands

That's how my matte display is too. It reflects a bit, but it's not a mirror. You don't see the reflections when the screen is on, so it doesn't matter much.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
Or maybe you can just see if the display is fingerprint magnet?

It still is. It actually came with a piece of cloth, like the iPhone...

You don't see the reflections when the screen is on, so it doesn't matter much.

I work a lot with a black background, that's why it bothers me.

Anyway, for future reference: Here is a daylight shot. The glare intensity has been exaggerated by the iPhone cam, though.

From left to right: Glare, fingerprints, my pale arms holding iPhone :)

So, to summarize:
New matte is glossier than some previous ones, but still far from the real glossy.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
It still is. It actually came with a piece of cloth, like the iPhone...

I work a lot with a black background, that's why it bothers me.

Anyway, for future reference: Here is a daylight shot. The glare intensity has been exaggerated by the iPhone cam, though.

From left to right: Glare, fingerprints, my pale arms holding iPhone :)

So, to summarize:
New matte is glossier than some previous ones, but still far from the real glossy.

Yeah that is definitely matte, except mine isn't as bad. Do you wipe the dust off once in a while?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.