Matte or Glossy screen protector for MBP with glossy high-res screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vovo, Mar 18, 2008.

1. vovo macrumors newbie

Hi all:

I just bought my first mac. Its a 17inch MBP with glossy high-res screen. I know there are already a lot of threads about glossy vs matte screens or glossy vs matte screen protectors, but my question is:

Should I get a matte or glossy screen protector for my glossy screen?

I got the glossy screen because of all its said benefits (richer color, etc), but would a matte screen protector dull the colors and cancel all the benefits of a glossy screen? Then again, would a glossy screen protector make the disadvantages of the glossy screen twice as bad?

Appreciate any advice for my first mac!

Thanks,

Vo

2. EMAGDNIM macrumors member

EMAGDNIM

I currently have a MB and I'm planning to buy a MBP before the summer starts and I have to say that the gloss screen looks nice, but it's super hard to keep clean. I find that I'm constantly cleaning the screen.

For my MBP I'm going for the matte screen (But that's just me)

3. vovo thread starter macrumors newbie

Did you use a screen protector for your glossy screen MB? How was your experience with the glossy/matte screen protector? :)

4. Son of Matrix macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

5. vovo thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm fine with the glare actually. I just wanted to protect the screen. Added two full weeks to my shipment time so I better keep it in good shape :p

Anyway, I ended up not buying any protector and just use the Apple cloth to clean my screen once in awhile. Not sure if this is such a good idea though. I hear those solvents smudge your screen so I didnt use any solvents either.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I wouldnt even get a screen protector. They ruin the look of the screen. Why protect it when you cant see what it truly looks like?

7. felt. macrumors 6502a

i have 17" mbp hi-res glossy and im pretty sure ruining such a beautiful display with a "screen protector" is a crime in certain states

8. Son of Matrix macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

yeah...maybe in Canada...oops...is that a state? :D

9. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Honestly though screen protectors are about 0% - 1% effective. The reason I say this is first off, they are too thin to prevent any scratches etc to your screen, second, you can always tell they are on there because the screen doesnt look near as nice, and theyre usually "lightly adhesive" which is worse for the screen.

If your worried about fingerprints just use a regular screen cleaner and a cloth (no papertowels)

10. vovo thread starter macrumors newbie

Any particularly good screen cleaner liquid? I hear some just makes things worse (by making smudges and adding streaks on the screen) :eek:

Thanks,

Vovo