Matte screen and SSD user upgradable? (Retina display MBP 15")

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hajime, Jun 11, 2012.

1. hajime macrumors 68040

Hello, I am planning to buy the 15" 2.6GHz i7 model. It seems that all the new retina display MBP do not have a matte screen option. Am I right? Is the SSD user upgradable? Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's right, it doesn't. The glare is supposedly 75% less than the previous glossy screen.
    No. Neither is the RAM.

3. jcpb macrumors 6502a

You'll have to use an AG film over the screen for matte e.g. this.

As for storage, the WWDC slides show the SSD is not physically soldered onto the logic board, but as a separate component. Most likely a proprietary connector, which rules out most third-party replacements, however I'm sure OWC will have their replacement options available soon.

4. Keniutek macrumors 6502

Keniutek

Im not sure about that man, on that engadget video the glare is still THERE. Looks like another Apple mumbo jumbo BS!

5. css136 macrumors member

I'd wait for product reviews to see, but it looks like the screens are still quite glossy, despite the 75% reduction. As for the SSD and RAM, yep... it sucks, but these are basically non-upgradable, unless you want to have Apple upgrade them at exorbitant mark-ups

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The RAM is permanently soldered to the motherboard. The SSD is on a removeable board much like the Macbook Air.

7. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I went from a MacBook pro to the MacBook air and I have to say the glare is almost gone. Hopefully the new MBP has a similar type of coating on it.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I said, "supposedly". The only way to know is to see them in person.