Matte screen brighter than glossy screen on 15"??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mox123, Jun 4, 2010.

1. mox123 macrumors 6502

at least that's what it felt like when i was checking them both out side-by-side at the apple store. Does anyone know for a fact what the luminosity rating is for the matte and glossy screen on the 15"?? :confused:

2. tim100 macrumors 65816

I think the anti glare is brighter. In fact I think last gen glossy is brighter than the current glossy.

3. Link2999 macrumors 6502

Screen brightness varies by the computer, not by the model or type of screen.

4. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm OK. At the store, i was really more drawn to the matte screen, though I have always preferred glossy. I was thinking that perhaps it was Apple's way of tricking us into paying extra for matte...:rolleyes:

5. Gherkin macrumors 6502

I was at the Apple Store yesterday comparing the two and I agree. Matte looks brighter/better overall.

6. Mirabella macrumors regular

Assuming the screens are otherwise the identical, and the only difference is the shiny glass panel on the glossy screens (this is a big assumption: I don't know whether it's true), then:

As a simple matter of physics, the AG screens would have to be at least a little brighter than the glossy screens. The light transmitted by the glossy screens has to be transmitted through 1 more optical element than the light transmitted by the AG screens must pass through. One more piece of glass to transmit through means more light reflecting back on the inner side, more scatter, diffusion, distortion, filtration, etc. No glass is 100% optically perfect. The fact that you can see the glass – the fact that it's not invisible – demonstrates that it is having an effect on the light. Passing the light through one more piece of glass would have to decrease the output by at least some small amount.

7. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

That small amount wouldn't be noticeable. And the glossy at the very same brightness probably would look subjectively a little brighter I guess.

Fact is there are very little AG screen reviews. In fact the only one I know of is on anandtech.com. Anand got a really bright AG panel but that might just have been luck. It could be that AG are on average brighter as they are more likely to be used outside and they should offer a best possible user experience. They are more expensive too. But there is no evidence I know of that would make this assumption anything close to a fact. It is probably luck for the most part.

8. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

9. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Academically gifted, since intelligent people choose it. ;)

Actually it means antiglare.

10. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

lol, I think matte screen is better overall, love sitting outside browsing web on a nice warm day and not worry about seeing my face on the screen or seeing the sun

11. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

hehe. silly me about AG! i was scratching my head as to keep remembering that the manufacturer should be LG and not AG....:D Then i was thinking that all german corporations end in AG in their names

man, now i'm torn between AG and glossy.

12. jdhatt macrumors regular

yea me too, like you i went to the store to compare (im usually a glossy guy) and the matte looked just spectacular, no question, but i have a feeling ill miss the quality of the colors and picture that the glossy has to offer

13. delux246 macrumors member

I have the AG and I think its fabulous. I get wonderful colors and it is really bright. It also works very well on the lowest brightness.

14. jdhatt macrumors regular

under completely dark conditions would u say its stil comparable to the glossy?