Matte Screen Replacement for 13" MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RDL, Jul 11, 2010.

1. RDL macrumors member

I've owned a 12" iBook G4 for the last 4 years and just bought a 13" MBP and its only been a week but I'm actually still using my iBook more than my new MBP because I just can't get use to the glossy screen. I can stay on my iBook all day with no problem but after a couple hours on the MBP my eyes hurt.

I found a company called TechRestore that will replace it with a Matte screen for $200. I'm not sure the quality of the screen but just knowing getting rid of the glossy is an option is making my optimistic.

Can anyone that knows more about repairs and screen quality give me advice if this is a good buy or not? I live in Nyc and would MUCH rather just drop it off than mail it anywhere so if anyone knows someone (a store) in NYC I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Here is the link i found -
    http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/200-matte-screen-replacement-for-13-macbook-pro/

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

many of my friends have done it since techrestore is about 10 mins away from me and they turn out very nice indeed

I'm just waiting for my screen to crack before dropping $200 for the replacement:D

3. RDL thread starter macrumors member

I would LOVE to replace it but its a new comp and I bought Apple care so that I could be worry free for the next three yrs that if any hardware went it would easily replaced by Apple and I just read this would VOID my warranty. SUCKS!

It would be a 10% restocking fee but do you think this fall Apple might offer that option on the 13" model?? If so I might return and play the waiting game. :confused:

4. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

very doubtful but who knows

you can always get an antiglare protector

5. vbman213 macrumors 6502

I have actually been doing some research on the different anti-glare screen protectors on the market.

These are the ones I have looked at:

1) PowerSupportUSA Anti-Glare Film
    2) Radtech ClearCal
    3) Green Onions Supply AG2

I've been doing research on the film material (what actually makes it "anti-glare") and the film thickness.

Film thickness is really the key factor when finding a film.

Here is four things I've learned.

1) Thicker film = better "anti-glare" / Thicker Film = harsh "prismatic" effect
    2) Thinner film = less "anti-glare" / thinner film = reduced "prismatic" effect

The key is finding a film that fits right in the middle. Good anti-glare without the harsh sparkling/prismatic effect.

So lets look at some technical data concerning these films:

1) Powersupportusa film:

Thickness: Unknown (I've contacted customer support, still waiting for a reply)
    Film Material: Unknown (Assume it is PET)

2) ClearCal:

Thickness: 5 mil *
    Film Material: PETE

* mil does not equal mm

1 mil = 0.0254 millimeters

3) Green Onions Supply

Thickness: 0.1mm (3.93700787 mil)
    Film Material: PET

ClearCal = 5mil
    GOS = 3.94 mil

That is a full 1 mil different. Which might make a huge difference.

So as you can see, the Green Onion Supply film is thinner. Even the reviews on Amazon are quite interesting to read. The Green Onion Film got a 4 1/2 stars while the ClearCal barely has 2 stars. This further supports might theory on film thickness. Same material used in both products, yet different thickness.

I'm very tempted in testing out the Green Onion Supply film. 1 mil different might not seem like much, but this could be the sweet spot between sparkling and anti-glare ability.

6. RDL thread starter macrumors member

I was researching those covers as well but then remembered I didn't like the anti glare film on my iphone so doubt I'd like them on my comp. I think text (no matter the size) will be slightly blurring with the anti glare covers.

I'm also beginning to wonder if it might be the LED backlighting and not the glossy screen that is hurting my eyes. No matter how low I turn the brightness down I still feel I'm staring at a neon sign. IF it is the LED lighting then even the matte would hurt my eyes right?

I'm going to the Apple store on Wednesday to view matte (if one is even on display) to see if it seems easier on my eyes. Unfortunately Apple is a bright store and I'll only be on it for a short time so its going to be hard to judge if the matte is really less hard on my eyes but its worth checking out in person. As much as I am against a 15" I might just have to get one because I can not live with a comp I'm scared to use because of headaches and eye pain.

7. RDL thread starter macrumors member

Someone just said my iBook G4 has LED backlighting too. I don't think this is true but will do some research.

8. vbman213 macrumors 6502

You are not going to buy a Mac that does not use LED back-lighting. CCFL LCD panels are old technology. Just because it is "LED" should not make much of a difference on a "usability" standpoint. It does however illuminate the panel in a much more energy efficient way. Also, LEDs have higher life span than CCFLs

9. TrojanX macrumors member

TrojanX

If you are fed up with it, I would do it! I know that my friend can't stand the Glass screen on my newly purchased machine but I, personally, enjoy it and see no problem. I also wear polarized glasses which may kill the glare.:confused:

10. RDL thread starter macrumors member

I contacted Apple for suggestions and an anti-glare cover was one and the other was to buy a pair of Gunnar glasses. They are suppose to reduce glare and help people who are sensitive to glossy screens. You are lucky you have zero issues with it.

11. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

anti glare film sucks and is only made worse when the material you are applying the film to is in front of the glossy LCD. the prismatic effect is disgusting and noticeable even with the thinnest film.

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

IMO, going the Tech Restore route is a bad idea. If over time your Macbook Pro starts having problems and Apple needs to replace your laptop then the $200 will go down the drain IF Apple would replace the Macbook after the Tech Restore mod. If they do replace it then as I mentioned earlier your $200 is down the drain and you'd either have to deal with the glossy replacement or pay Tech Restore again for another anti-glare mod.

13. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

There's little reason to not consider them. There are so many people who never have 3rd party modifications or repairs done that get the shaft when requesting warranty service for things as petty as "the case is cosmetically scratched up" on models like the older A1150 Macbook Pro that dent & scratch if you look at them the wrong way, that I do not think factoring in Apple Warranty service is a big issue. For every success story I hear regarding them replacing a machine, I hear another 5 of them refusing service for the most asinine reasons.

ANYTHING is better than that anti glare coating. It's not the same.

14. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Sigh I agree with this. I just received my unibody macbook and the glare is killing me (been using an HR AG for a while now). But now I am looking into green onions supply screen protectors and I am trying to do my due research on them. They are marketed specifically to cut down on the distortion and fuzziness....but who knows.

15. nocaresteve macrumors newbie

Uncle Steve continues to not care.

Interesting to see us all try to find an aftermarket solution to the glossy screen.
    It is flat out never going to look as good as an Apple factory installed matte screen. That Steve is so stubborn(especially since we would all pay for the option) is mind boggling. It all boils down to the large ego on Steve's part. Why he doesn't want to sell a larger amount of computers(more sales?duh!) to people wanting the option makes no sense. Funny also when you ask most workers at the Apple stores in N.Y.C. they are frustrated as much as us. For one amazing and creative innovator he could use a little therapy.

Remember the days of Apple complaining about the tyranny of microsoft, well.....................

16. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Yeh biggest peeve with my 13" is the obnoxious glare, reflections drive me nutz .