Matte Screen Replacement for 2008 Blackbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Trapscallion, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Trapscallion macrumors newbie

I want to replace my screen to a matte one and so far i have only seen one on ebay which is quite a bit of money.

Is there a specific make i could get for my Macbook e.g. Toshiba, Hitachi?
    I have searched for 13.3 matte screens minus Apple in the search field and a few cheap used ones have come up but i am not sure whether they would work.

Anyone had any success replacing their screen with a matte one?

2. Trapscallion thread starter macrumors newbie

3. MacInTO, Sep 28, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2014

MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I didn't realize the 13" came with a matte screen back then. If not, I'd agree that it would be expensive.

What about a matte film that you can apply to your screen?

I've always had matte screens on my Powerbook, Macbook Pros, etc. I'm not a fan of the glossy screen. The latest, the retina MBP only came with a glossy screen. I purchased a matte screen film and it works great. The best thing is that it only cost $15.

4. Trapscallion thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I do not think they ever did come with a matte screen, so it is an alternative to get one. Thing is though seeing how cheap other screens are on eBay for other computers and that one isn't an Apple official one, was seeing if anyone had any luck buying one.

I have seen a few which look like they have the correct lead connected to a screen inverter, it's just whether the actual screen itself would be able to be fitted into a Mac case.

5. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Do you really want to invest $200 for matte screen for such an old machine? Put the $200 towards a newer Macbook, Air, or Pro.

7. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I agree with this.

However, sometimes it's fun to do something for the challenge if it's cheap or one has the money to do this with.

A friend donated a White Macbook (Core 2 Duo) to me a few years ago. It is more powerful than the black MB but it's still pretty deathly slow. I put in an SSD and It has my iTunes library on it and is connected to my stereo. It's my music server. That's about all it's good for. If I try to do anything else with it, the fan starts to spin faster! Basically, my investment was a $150 SSD to make it run faster.

The other problem with these Macs is the OS. The best it can do is Lion (10.7), from what I can remember was pretty crappy. I have Snow Leopard (10.6) on the white Macbook.

Not a great machine for a primary machine, but good for certain things.

8. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The oldest MacBooks I refurb are 2010 models. With 8GB of memory and an SSD they do a great job. And they have no problem running Mavericks and Yosemite.

9. Trapscallion thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i do agree with you all, i kept searching for a screen,but then took a step back and thought is there any point, my screen at the minute is buggered due to water damage so just thought the cheaper option is to get a glossy screen and put a matte protector on it, which also gives me the option to take it off if i choose to.

It has been an interesting project building this black frankenbook up from nothing, there has been headaches at times and ultimately it has cost me a lot more than if i just bought a second hand one on ebay and just changed the hard drives. I guess it is all part of the experience though and although it has been fun, i will never build a macbook from scratch again.

Just holding out for a new mac mini to be my main computer and use this one for basic on the go jobs.