Matte unibody 15" is ugly imo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Nov 28, 2009.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I have an early 2008 MBP with matte screen, but had three major repairs so I think if I request a replacement, I will just ask for the glassy model. The glare is annoying at times, but at least you can adjust the angle of the screen pretty easily. Plus, I liked the pictures of the matte unibody 15" I saw on these forums, but in person, it looks ugly to me as opposed to the black border, sharp picture glassy screen.

The antiglare border and dull picture makes me long for a glassy model next time I get a MBP. And this is coming from someone who had a glossy macbook (1st gen) and have had a matte nonunibody mbp for about two years now.

2. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Congratulations you have an opinion, either get over the aesthetics and get what is more practical for you, or you give into aesthetics and get what isn't practical. Form over function, always a good motto to live by.:rolleyes:

3. neteng101 macrumors 65816

The matte screen isn't practical - running your image through a light diffuser kills the sharpness. Optimize your work location, then reflections are a non issue.

4. ant043 macrumors regular

unibody glassy is ugly imo. What do you make of that ?

5. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Don't you have one? :rolleyes:

6. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

The 15" badboy pro matte opted is THE only way to go.

7. ant043 macrumors regular

Have to change my laptop below. I've sold it for a 17 inch matte unibody.

8. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

I do agree that Apple completely half assed their design effort with the matte MBPs. Just some small details, like replacing the black rubber seal with a gray one like in the MBA and replacing the black plastic hinge with a matching silver one, would have made it look much better.

9. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Do you have the 24" LED Cinema Display too? That's glossy as well... and a really nice display.

10. ant043 macrumors regular

jesus man. It was a joke get over it. everyone has a different opinion on the matter. Yes i like the 24 inch display even if there are some annoying reflections.

11. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

try the glossy with your back to a sunny window or outside and you'd have a different opinion maybe

12. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

They are computers, each to their own. Get over it.

People who buy matte aren't really going to care if somebody else doesn't like the look of it, are they?

13. kolax macrumors G3

[​IMG]

I really don't think it looks ugly at all..! Light causes the aluminium bezel to vary in colour depending on the lighting in the room and it always looks sexy!

The matte display isn't that dull - the colours just pop out a bit more on glossy (they do look fantastic). The matte still looks brilliant.

This is coming from someone who owned a glossy uMBP and currently owns a matte uMBP.

14. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Actually where I have my uMBP most of the time, there's a window to my back, with shades, so it does reflect during the day. I don't mind getting rid of the reflections, but not at the lost of the "pop" that the glossy has. My HDTV is glossy too.

15. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

That there is a fine machine sir.

16. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

That picture looks great, but it looked ugly to me in person at the Apple Store. Maybe I need to see a matte uMBP out of the store or in a setting where it isn't super super bright.

Or maybe just up close, the matte look rubs me the wrong way.

17. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I have to agree with the OP, but I have a glossy screen unibody, I prefer the colours of the glossy screen but as said get what you like. TBO I never really understood why Apple chose to make the surround silver, yes it gives it some distinction but what's the point? A black surround makes the screen look better IMO.

18. icedd macrumors 6502

icedd

Use ass in a Sentence
    –noun
    1. a long-eared, slow, patient, sure-footed domesticated mammal, Equus asinus, related to the horse, used chiefly as a beast of burden.
    2. any wild species of the genus Equus, as the onager.
    3. a stupid, foolish, or stubborn person.
    Origin:
    bef. 1000; ME asse, OE assa, prob. hypocoristic form based on OIr asan < L asinus; akin to Gk ónos ass

19. prodigee macrumors 6502a

Congratulations, you found the definitions of ass, would you like a medal for that?

I was making a ridiculous answer for a ridiculous thread, sure everyone is entitled to their opinions, but do they need to make useless threads about it. No they don't. It clearly seems like he wants a matte but doesn't like the enclosure, if that is the case, get the matte because the enclosure may grow on you but the glare won't change if he gets a glossy MBP.

You know in a way my first post was helpful, dick, but helpful.

20. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

The thread is as stated in the title. I never understood why people take offense to new threads. If you don't like the subject, don't click or read the thread. Simple.

I was just stating my opinion on the matter because I was strongly considering matte until I saw it in person, now I think I'm favoring the glass screen more so. From looking at the pictures on these forums, I would have said it looks great. Maybe it takes some getting used to, who knows.

Regardless of your rebuttal, I don't care because unlike you, it's difficult to get my blood boiling from something over the internet much less a rumors forum. Anyways, have a good one.

21. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I have a late 2008 unibody and I wish I had the chance to buy it now, so I could get the Matte display.

However, I've gotten used to the glossy screen, even under light environments.

Note that I do graphic design and not just browse the web.

22. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

When I was in school I had the first gen 15" mbp because it was a good balance of power/portability. I didn't need the 15" but thought 13" would be too small.
    I'm now on my near-ideal set-up of a new iMac and a 13" mbp but after getting used to the aesthetics of the 13" with the black border and glossy and seeing pics of my old 15", I have to say I prefer the 13" style (and also the 15" glossy) to the matte with the silver border.

23. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

If your such a secure person, then why do you need approval from a forum to decide what to get. Go for the form over function, why does an opinion from anyone else matter?

24. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

IMO the unibody matte screens look like all the other Powerbook G4 and early MBP. It's no different. Apple design for the Powerbook/MBP really hasn't changed. It was sexy when it was a G3 then G4 and even now.

I like the look of the black against the grey. ;)

25. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I wish i could see a antiglare in person. all i have seen is glassy MBP's and i want a 17". i hate glare but love a better picture. and i have an antiglare screen on my phone (not the same i know) but helps a lot in the light. i think i am leaning more towards glassy than when i first started planning to but my mbp.