Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

duhyes

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
What's the difference?

If I wanted a clear transparent see through full body do i get clear or matte for the iphone 5 black?

I do not know what's the difference?

Can someone with pics with matte and clear show me whats the difference? Thanks

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
What's the difference?

If I wanted a clear transparent see through full body do i get clear or matte for the iphone 5 black?

I do not know what's the difference?

Can someone with pics with matte and clear show me whats the difference? Thanks
want clear, get clear

Case closed

duhyes

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
.... that is irrelevant. please answer the question that i asked.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
.... that is irrelevant. please answer the question that i asked.

Think of a tv with a matte or clear screen. With a clear screen protector it will look clear and shiny because it will reflect light. A matte finish absorbs light so it will not be shiny when light hits it but still be clear. In other words, you will see through both.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Both types have their advantages and disadvantages so it comes down to what you want to prioritize.

Matte protectors emphasize readability over color. A matte screen is still readable in direct sunlight or right underneath a light source, but the colors get washed out a bit.

Clear protectors retain the color and contrast of a screen but are utter crap in view-ability under direct sunlight.

So for example, I do a lot of writing on the go, and I could care less about color gamut on my Air, so I opted for matte covering. If I did photography, for example, I probably would have opted for a clear protector.

duhyes

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Why are matte more expensive then clear?

Should I go for matte or clear if i want the same color of the iphone with no screen protector? And it has no difference

and also i want a screen protector that just protect against scratches and i wont even notice the screen protector is there, plus i want the picture quality as good as the iphone 5 just came out of the box with no screen protector.

Which one is better for quality?

Last edited:

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i just bought ArmorSuit full body protection and installed both front and rear last night. its crystal clear and looks awesome, like theres nothing there. my coworker has matte and it looks strange on the screen. its clear when on, but looks very matte when its dark. luckily the ArmorSuit isnt as orange peel and rubbery textured as my old GhostArmor used to be. I would definitely second going clear over matte.

duhyes

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Then what do you want? if you are too lazy to even watch half of it, then don't bother asking for help. Sheesh. Whiners.

I just watched it, skimmed through it he doesn't even talk about the differences he only tell us how to put it on

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
No matter what the marketing message is, screen protectors of any type force you to look through two more surfaces & the material. That degrades the clarity & luminosity.

I have used every iPhone since the first, leaving them as they come out of the box. Apple carefully covers them with a fingerprint resistant Oleophobic coating of very high quality. Not only is the image excellent, the tactile experience is unlike any other. If you slap a screen protector on it you defeat all the good work Apple has done.

I have never had a scratch problem on any of mine. A little care goes a long ways. I'm picky, clean them daily, and just enjoy the phone. It's simple.

duhyes

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
No matter what the marketing message is, screen protectors of any type force you to look through two more surfaces & the material. That degrades the clarity & luminosity.

I have used every iPhone since the first, leaving them as they come out of the box. Apple carefully covers them with a fingerprint resistant Oleophobic coating of very high quality. Not only is the image excellent, the tactile experience is unlike any other. If you slap a screen protector on it you defeat all the good work Apple has done.

I have never had a scratch problem on any of mine. A little care goes a long ways. I'm picky, clean them daily, and just enjoy the phone. It's simple.

but the iphone screen is very easy to scratch

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
but the iphone screen is very easy to scratch
This is simply not true. iPhones have the most durable scratch resistant display panels of the many other brands I've owned. It's just a fact. I never use a screen protector, and have not scratched a single iPhone from day one.

JNGold

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
Why are matte more expensive then clear?

Should I go for matte or clear if i want the same color of the iphone with no screen protector? And it has no difference

and also i want a screen protector that just protect against scratches and i wont even notice the screen protector is there, plus i want the picture quality as good as the iphone 5 just came out of the box with no screen protector.

Which one is better for quality?

Why is this rocket science? Clear shields are exactly that. You basically answered your own question in your original post.

There were several explanations provided in this thread as to the difference. Here's your next step: Order a clear and a matte shield from a company that supports returns (i.e. a reputable, well know company), or order two cheap ones on ebay. When you have both in your hand, make your decision as that will be the only way to really satisfy your curiosity and level of questions. Keep the one you like and return the one you don't.

That's the best advice anyone can give.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.