Matte X Glossy, what is yours?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fabiano, Jul 24, 2008.

?

What is your MBP screen type?

1. Matte

73.0%
  2. Glossy

27.0%
  1. Fabiano macrumors regular

I know that probably there is a lot of Threads about this issue, but Im just curious to know what is the users preferences in this forum... also I would like that you share your personal experience about your choice... So start saying what is your screen type, for what you use most your MBP, what you like, and what you dislike in it (the screen).

Let me start:

I choose matte screen mainly because I hate these glossy screen that I had before, there is always a light spot behing you to mess up you screen, I found that very annoying for me. I work as web developer. One thing i noticed in my screen is that black patterns is not displayed very uniform, its not so perfect as in glossy screens....

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

If you knew that there were thousands of threads on this issue, then why didn't you search to find one in stead of starting a whole new thread?:mad:

3. Fabiano thread starter macrumors regular

As I said, I know there is other threads but these are mainly for people asking what to buy. I already decided, thats not the objective of this specific Thread. I just want to exchange experiences from another users about the daily use and what every one has to say so far. Also I've made a poll to measure the proportion of users choice. thats it.

4. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

I choose glossy screen and don't look back. I love this screen, bright colors. I heard about reflections but I can live with them :)

5. deltaiscain macrumors regular

I chose matte. Love it. i hate the reflections i get with glossy screens.

6. lhotka macrumors regular

Simple: Matte. It's much harder to correctly calibrate a glossy monitor (hardware calibration), which is the reason that Apple will always continue to offer a matte screen on the MBP (and why they don't bother on the MB).

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Matte....who wants a mirror as a screen? Who wants a screen that gets so dirty that you cant see anything?

8. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

mattes kind of boring..no wow factor for me.

glossy because reflections don't bother me/ I don't notice them, and I keep my screen clean.

9. tecknical macrumors regular

matte because i want a display that works in any and all conditions. and the color difference wasnt that great, at least to my eyes :eek:

10. MusicallySilent macrumors member

Don't own one but said matte for the reason that glossy acts like a mirror in any sort of direct lighting, only ambient light is fine with glossy it seems or direct lighting facing you. Downside from what I have seen is the colors look very nice on glossy screens, but it is a worthy compromise, usability in more environments instead of slightly richer colors. In some cases Glossy screens are barely usable even inside.

11. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I voted glossy because of the color vibrance. I appreciate the bright colors more often than I'd appreciate a non-reflective screen, because I usually use my notebook indoors and have never had problems with reflectivity to date.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's what the DOZENS of other threads discuss... users' preferences. Please search the forums before starting repetitive threads. This thread is NO different than the dozens that already exist.

13. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I prefer anti-glare which I would like to point out the MBP screen is scatter matte, not anti-glare matte; latter scatters light to reduce glare and former doesn't reflect light at all.

But the scatter matte is all that's offered so whatever.

15. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Gloss ftw.

It's a much crisper sharper more vibrant pictures. And who's out in the sun with a macbook anyway? My gf's regular macbook is matte and you cant see **** either way.

Reflections a non issue.

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Well, I may not be out in the sun with my computer, but my school's cafeteria/library/common area is almost fully glass enclosed on the walls, and we have the water of the harbor right outside. So on most occasions it is nearly impossible to see my screen through the combination of the sun and the sunlight reflecting off the water. But I don't have anything to regret about with my screen, because I am only on a MB and the screen type was not an option.

17. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Matte display on the MBP is absolutely gorgeous in my opinion. Colors are clear and sharp and I never need to worry about reflections.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

19. Tosser macrumors 68030

Matte.

I don't like reflections, and I would ONLY consider buying a computer with a glossy screen, if A) it was a desktop, and B) I had no choice whatsoever.

The reason for A is that if it's a desktop, I could align light sources so they don't reflect too much, so I MIGHT be able to live with it.

But I use laptops, and I will NEVER buy one with a glossy screen, as a laptop goes eeverywhere, and I really couldn't care less about "vibrant colours" –*I prefer to focus on contents.

I'd sooner switch to a Palm Pilot to do ALL of my computing needs, than I'd use a glossy laptop day in day out.

20. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Matte for the ****ing win. I got matte on my MBP, and lovin' it.

I used to have a MacBook (they all come in glossy, in case you didn't know) so I know exactly what it's like having a glossy screen.

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's amusing to watch people argue about this! Ever wonder why they make both kinds? It's because some like matte and some like glossy. Buy whichever you want, and don't worry that someone else prefers the other.

22. Tosser macrumors 68030

Who's "arguing"?

Anyway, my take on why they offer the glossy, is that it does look "vibrant" in the shop, and just like bright colours (as in red, yellow etc) it makes people buy it. It's a basic psychological trick used in marketing all sorts of other things.
    Now, that's arguing, but people weren't actually arguing before you said they were. They were merely stating their reasoning for choosing as they did.

23. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

i don't recall the macbook releasing a matte

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I wish that Apple offered matte screens on all of their products.

Currently only the MBP has the option.

All ACDs come in matte. But you can get a glossy display from another company.

25. engles macrumors regular