Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Connectivity Standards Alliance (CSA) today announced the debut of a new Matter 1.3 specification that's available for device makers and platforms. Matter is a smart home protocol that allows smart devices to work across multiple platforms, including HomeKit.

matter-iot-standard.jpg

Matter 1.3 adds support for a range of new device types and features, including water management devices, electric vehicle chargers, kitchen and laundry appliances, and TVs.

For smart plugs and other devices, the update includes energy management reporting, allowing users to see actual and estimated measurements of power, voltage, and current, both in-real time and over time. EV Charging manufacturers are able to include Matter-based features such as manually starting and stopping charging, adjusting charging rate, and optimizing charging times.

Water management devices like leak and freeze detectors, rain sensors, and controllable water valves are supported in Matter 1.3, as are several new appliance types including microwave ovens, ovens, cooktops, extractor hoods, and dryers.

For TVs, Matter 1.3 improves casting initialization and search, plus it adds support for push messages and dialog for ambient experiences, expanded interactivity for TV apps, and better interaction with other home devices.

Scenes are supported with the new specification, allowing product makers and platforms to set, read, and activate scenes on devices. Scenes for Matter work like HomeKit scenes, letting users set a desired state for rooms and devices with one command. Matter controllers are also now able to batch multiple commands into a single message when communicating with Matter devices for less delay between command execution.

Matter 1.3 devices and improvements will likely be available on the market later this year, with more information available on the CSA website.

Article Link: Matter 1.3 Specification Adds Energy Reporting, Electric Vehicle Charging, Water Management Support and More

Reactions: pappl and mhnd

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
Nevermind all the ancillary stuff, get the cameras in here. I still can’t believe that after x amount of years I’m still waiting for a decent HomeKit solution.

Apple really need to step-up here as the camera selection available for HomeKit is still pitiful, the home app software seems a gimmick at best (cameras not recording all motion) & i’m not interested in messing about in homebridge.

System603

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2021
Europe
  • Water leak and controllable valves
  • Energy consumption for devices and EV charging overview/control for cars
  • Scenes support and command batching
Did not expect such a major spec upgrade in .3 😮 Can't wait for devices to actually support this. Huge quality of "life" improvements actually.

StuBeck

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2008
Its a bit surprising we are so far into this and still getting basic features. I'm expecting it will be 2025 or 2026 when we finally get the original promise of all smart home devices working on a platform independent solution.

tarkeybear

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2006
Claremont CA
Hi folks, Can HomeKit be configured to turn on a timer when a switch is turned on? I have a recirulaiton pump for my water heater which I turn on via HomeKit when I take a shower, using an EVE plug controller, but I often forget to turn it off after my shower. It would be nice if I could add a timer in HomeKit to automatically turn off the switch after X minutes so that the pump turns off auto-magically, but I haven't been able to figure this out...

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
It’s being worked on. And good luck with that for ring lol
Well, yes I appreciate that.
Still waiting for matter support from the Nest Learning Thermostat - however... I gave them long enough so got rid of it and replaced it.

Once the camera support comes... Ill give Ring an opportunity to support it and if not... similarly ill just replace them with matter compatible ones from a different manufacturer.

Reactions: GregoriusM

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Amazing, a gold standard in the making.

But the awful companies are so slow in supporting it. Feel like they’re trying to figure out how they can subvert the privacy and other benefits for their profit. 😒
I work on a connected product and we are waiting for Matter to "get its sh*t together" - the current implementation is utter trash and wildly unstable.Plus the promise of connective home just doesn't pay, for the cost of implementing these protocols just don't equal the sales to cover the cost.

rictus007

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Matter is working for me, particularly because it is supported by Hubitat and Hubitat works with HomeKit (partially). Some devices disconnect frequently but I realized that rebooting my Apple TV solves the problem. I hope we can get other stuff like smoke/CO detectors, air quality sensors, etc. Up to this date apple does not support barometric pressure (HomeKit).

frenchcamp49er

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Nevermind all the ancillary stuff, get the cameras in here. I still can’t believe that after x amount of years I’m still waiting for a decent HomeKit solution.

Apple really need to step-up here as the camera selection available for HomeKit is still pitiful, the home app software seems a gimmick at best (cameras not recording all motion) & i’m not interested in messing about in homebridge.
Not up to Apple

Aiii83

macrumors member
May 13, 2021
When Matter came to Hue I immediately did the update from Homekit and got everything set up again. The first annoyance was that my Motion Detectors became unusable. For some reason they were no longer “Motion Detectors” but instead became “Occupancy Detectors.” This meant my old automation that turned on the light in a hallway when I opened the door stopped working entirely. I had to revert back to the Hue app and set up the motion detector automation there instead.

A minor annoyance, but alright, whatever. I added all my lights, set-up my rooms, set-up my scenes and automations.

Six weeks later, all my lights reset to the default rooms. I lost all my automations, scenes, and had to set-up the whole thing again.

Four weeks on from that, half my lights disappeared from Homekit. Couldn’t re-add them. Bridge was there. Other half of the lights worked. Had to set-up the whole thing again.

Another month and a half later, my Kitchen light vanished from Homekit. Again.

Luckily, you could still revert the Hue Bridge back to connecting through homekit instead of Matter.

Not sure if it’s Apple‘s fault or Signify’s fault, or maybe both, or maybe neither and it’s just the standard that’s ****. But never again, they can stick Matter where the Hue lights don’t shine.

• Haha
Reactions: jimthing

frenchcamp49er

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
Well, yes I appreciate that.
Still waiting for matter support from the Nest Learning Thermostat - however... I gave them long enough so got rid of it and replaced it.

Once the camera support comes... Ill give Ring an opportunity to support it and if not... similarly ill just replace them with matter compatible ones from a different manufacturer.
Ring won’t implement matter in their devices

frenchcamp49er

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
When Matter came to Hue I immediately did the update from Homekit and got everything set up again. The first annoyance was that my Motion Detectors became unusable. For some reason they were no longer “Motion Detectors” but instead became “Occupancy Detectors.” This meant my old automation that turned on the light in a hallway when I opened the door stopped working entirely. I had to revert back to the Hue app and set up the motion detector automation there instead.

A minor annoyance, but alright, whatever. I added all my lights, set-up my rooms, set-up my scenes and automations.

Six weeks later, all my lights reset to the default rooms. I lost all my automations, scenes, and had to set-up the whole thing again.

Four weeks on from that, half my lights disappeared from Homekit. Couldn’t re-add them. Bridge was there. Other half of the lights worked. Had to set-up the whole thing again.

Luckily, you could still revert the Hue Bridge back to connecting through homekit instead of Matter.

Not sure if it’s Apple‘s fault or Signify’s fault, or maybe both, or maybe neither and it’s just the standard that’s ****. But never again, they can stick Matter where the Hue lights don’t shine.
I have the new Matter Aqara sensors and they work great with detecting motion maybe too good

frenchcamp49er

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014

It’s Signify’s fault. I really like my Hie lights and didn’t go the Matter route. If they force it on me all just change to regular LED’s and change the switch to Lutron.

qCzar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
SFBA, CA
Hi folks, Can HomeKit be configured to turn on a timer when a switch is turned on? I have a recirulaiton pump for my water heater which I turn on via HomeKit when I take a shower, using an EVE plug controller, but I often forget to turn it off after my shower. It would be nice if I could add a timer in HomeKit to automatically turn off the switch after X minutes so that the pump turns off auto-magically, but I haven't been able to figure this out...
Not that I'm aware of. I got around a similar limitation a different way. I have a bathroom fan that I want to turn off after a certain amount of time, thankfully the fan has a switch attached to it so I replaced the "light" switch with a Lutron switch. Through the Lutron app I set a timer for 30 minutes.

It's not in HomeKit but it works. Check if the Eve app has a similar timer function as well. OTHERWISE, set up an shortcut that you tap to run which turns the plug on then it'll wait X minutes to perform the next step which would be to turn the plug off.

d-klumpp

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2010
Chicago
I would love it if I could see my GE washer and dryer in the Home app. As it is now the SmartHQ sends me alerts when the laundry is done washing or drying and it’s really nice. But I always like having these things contained in one app.
I'm a laundry enthusiast and a HomeKit fan, but I cannot imagine a single instance where I'd want my phone to update me on the status of a wash load. For the times when I'm not within earshot, I simply come back in 45 min — that's worked for me for more than 50yrs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.