Maudio av-42 vs Logitech Z623

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waloshin, Jan 3, 2017.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

Oct 9, 2008
    Will the M-Audio AV-42 sound better than promedia 2.1 or logitech z623?
  2. D.T. macrumors 604

Sep 15, 2011
    Vilano Beach, FL
    M-Audio makes some great products, I'd also at that price point look into Kanto YU series, and maybe even Audio Engine (a little more but terrific). Generally - as you might know - when a speaker is indicated as a "studio monitor" it tends to be very neutral (as you don't want any coloring of the sound if you're mixing, etc.).
  3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

Oct 9, 2008
  4. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

Oct 9, 2008
    Picked up the M-Audio AV42 speakers. They are an upgrade from the Z623 and only paid $160 CDN with taxes so decent deal.

These are not super highend, but I was wondering would they sound better with an external sound card? Or would my Mac Mini be sufficent?
  5. monokakata macrumors 68000

May 8, 2008
    Hilo, Hawai'i
    I had a pair of AV40s at one point, and because I needed USB audio input with XLR, I had an m-audio external fast track unit on hand. So I used that to drive the AV40, and they sounded good.

Then I got a pair of Audioengine A2s and switched to the Audioengine D1, which I like very much. I like having an analog volume control sitting on my desk within easy reach.

I don't know whether the AV42s will sound better with an external device. When I plug in my decent headphones (Sennheiser HD650) into the D1, I'm blown away by the quality, though.