Maui Summer 2012 - Nikon D7000 photographs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SaMaster14, Aug 7, 2012.

1. SaMaster14, Aug 7, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

SaMaster14 macrumors 6502

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I noticed that you tend to make the critical mistake of putting the horizon right in the middle. This creates an unpleasant composition. Even a little bit off-center will make your images look more pleasant.

3. dkersten macrumors 6502a

Nice pictures. I really like the courtyard of the hotel(?), like the 3rd picture in. Thats pretty awesome

4. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting. I never really thought about that. Thanks for the input. As I said, photography is just a hobby. I took one class in high school, but plan to take more in college.

Thanks! And yes, we stayed at the Grand Wailea Resort. The grounds are spectacular.

5. wmcy macrumors member

What Lens?

I enjoyed viewing your Hawaii shots. I can see you are getting great use from your D7000. I can view the focal lengths of each shot, but am curious which lens you generally used?

Thanks for sharing.

Wm.

6. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Nice photos. I wouldn't have used Auto Mode. This way you could have bumped up the ISO to something like 1600ISO vs using 800ISO. If you didn't have a tripod, you could have set it on the table and gotten better colors.

When I switched from film to digital.. I started using the Aperture Mode first just so I can learn how the camera responds. Then worked a bit in Shutter modes.. Then finally moving back to Manual mode. This way you can tweak and tinker with your D7000. Learn all the corkiness.

Overall great shooting. :)

7. lizardofwoz macrumors regular

Hi. Some nice pictures among these. I am NOT wishing to be patronising, but there are some things you can do to improve your hobby.
    The Nikon 7000 is a fine camera. It can easily handle the technical side for you, which leaves composition in your hands.
    A few things:
    •Unless the sky is a spectacular feature, the chances are the land will be more interesting.
    •Symmetry is seldom interesting unless there is a really good reason for it.
    •Someone else mentioned the horizon... make sure it is level. Otherwise the ocean will run out.
    The last hint is simplicity itself and alone will transform your pictures...
    •Imagine your frame divided into three vertical strips. Imagine your frame to be divided into three horizontal strips. Like noughts and crosses.Where the imaginary lines cross is called the 'intersection of thirds'. When you place the most important elements of your picture on one of the four crosspoints the picture will have more impact.
    There are other things... selective focus etc, etc. Look at those later.
    Most of these hints can also be applied later, before printing. Crop and print.
    •One last thought... Walk up closer. Fill the frame with the picture you want.
    Have fun :)

8. SaMaster14 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

I mainly used a Tamron F2.8 17-50 lens. (aperture is fixed at 2.8).

For some of the close-up shots, I used the Nikon 'kit' lens that came with my old D80 (18-105).

Thanks! Aperture is fixed on the Tamron lens, but I probably should have messed with the ISO and shutter speeds for better color.

Thank you for the input! I'm definitely open to all the suggestions I can get! You were not patronizing at all.

9. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

If you think your aperture is fixed, then you are either sliding the wrong knob or your lens is broke. The minimum aperture on the 17-50 is f32.

Also, for better results, turn off the flash.