Maverick and older iMacs

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fhopper, Sep 30, 2013.

1. fhopper macrumors member

fhopper

My '07 24" is the oldest iMac series 10.7 would install on.

Should people expect Maverick to cull out more older machines?

2. theRevIsNotDead macrumors member

theRevIsNotDead

I don't think so. I'm a software developer, I can speak from experience that many man-hours are spent supporting old hardware. I think a machine from 07 should be lucky to run a late-2013 OS.

----------

Oh sorry I misread. I like that they are supporting as far back as they can without pushing too far. It was a pleasant surprise to find it will run on my 07 MBP, but I didn't expect it to.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Specs so far say that Mavericks will run on every machine that Mountain Lion runs on. While it is possible that Apple would drop systems from the supported list by release-time, there are no technical reasons to do so. (Unlike previous drops, like 64-bit kernel being a requirement.)

I have the oldest machine supported by Mountain Lion, so I'm looking forward to one more update. (I only got this Mac after ML came out, as my previous one was the oldest machine for Lion, and got specced-out of ML.)

4. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

All of the developer releases thus far run on anything that will run Mountain Lion, so no, there's no real reason for it to cull more machines this time around.

Linky.

5. Bear macrumors G3

Mountain Lion (10.8) was the last culling. According to the Developers Preview release notes, Mavericks supports all the old Macs that Mountain Lion does. The supported Mac list for Mavericks isn't final until Apple posts that information to the general public, however, the list shouldn't change from the DP release notes.

6. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Is Mavericks more demanding of the hardware than Mountain Lion?

7. Bear macrumors G3

From what I've read, no. The problem is that software developers don't bother to optimize their programs and the programs require more resources. So upgrading to Mavericks (if it supports your Mac) looks like it's a good idea.