Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Maverick download for 2012 mini in 2020?

Rog newmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
I just bought a 1012 Mac mini pretty cheap. I need to get it to Catalina, which it’s says is compatible. But it’s saying that I have to upgrade from the current OS (mountain lion) to maverick before I can do anything else. So the question is, where can I find maverick? Is there a good reliable website that you folks trust for downloads?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
You do not need to download Maverick (10.9), Apple does not provide it unless you had previously downloaded it.
According to Apples instructions in Section 1 "Check compatibility" you need "Mavericks or later". That section also said from Mountain Lion first upgrade to El Capitan. I would recommend going from Mountain Lion to High Sierra, then to Catalina.

Apple table that shows macOS and with links to available macOS installers.

Here is the link to High Sierra install instructions.

Make sure you have a good backup before attempting any OS upgrades. Be aware that Catalina is only 64 bit and you will not be able to use any older 32 bit apps.

Reactions: Boyd01
Comment

Rog newmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
Sweet!! I’ll give it a try. I’m new to this whole Mac thing. Thank you for the reply!!

Comment

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
What kind of disk? I believe there were options for a 1tb hard disk, 256gb SSD or 1TB "fusion drive", which is a 128gb SSD paired with a 1TB hard disk where your most frequently accessed files are stored on the SSD to improve performance. A used Mini may have been upgraded to a SSD by the previous owner. Also how much RAM? The basic machine only had 4gb with 8gb or 16gb optional. RAM may also have been upgraded by the previous owner.

Anyway, I have the next model up with the 2.6ghz quad-core i7, 16GB RAM and original Apple 256gb SSD. I used MacOS Sierra on that machine for most of its life and it ran very well. After getting my 2018 Mini, I turned my 2012 Mini into a file server and installed Catalina. That works fine, but it just runs file sharing 24/7 without a screen or keyboard.

Comment

Rog newmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
This is not the SSD. I have 16gb (two 8gb sticks) and 1 TB hard drive. The goal is to be running Logic Pro on this machine. It won’t even be hooked up to the internet once I’m done getting it where I need it. I have to have 10.14.6 or later so I might stop at Mojave.

Comment

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
You could leave the original operating system on the internal hard drive and get an external SSD (like a Samsung T5) to install the operating system. That should be a considerably more responsive machine. I ran mine for years from a 1TB external SSD. You can also install an internal SSD, but that's somewhat complicated. Here are some tests that I did FYI

Original Apple 1TB internal hard disk

2014-mini-1tb-hd.png

1TB external Samsung T3 SSD

samsung-t3-1tb.jpg

Original Apple 256GB internal SSD

mini_sm256e.jpg

Comment

Rog newmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
That’s solid information to have right there Boyd01. I was thinking about upgrading to an internal 1Tb hard drive. I’ve only got $150 in this machine.

Comment

Rog newmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
You do not need to download Maverick (10.9), Apple does not provide it unless you had previously downloaded it.
According to Apples instructions in Section 1 "Check compatibility" you need "Mavericks or later". That section also said from Mountain Lion first upgrade to El Capitan. I would recommend going from Mountain Lion to High Sierra, then to Catalina.

Apple table that shows macOS and with links to available macOS installers.

Here is the link to High Sierra install instructions.

Make sure you have a good backup before attempting any OS upgrades. Be aware that Catalina is only 64 bit and you will not be able to use any older 32 bit apps.

Thanks CoastalOR!! You’re answer really helped me out!

Reactions: CoastalOR
Comment

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
This is not the SSD. I have 16gb (two 8gb sticks) and 1 TB hard drive. The goal is to be running Logic Pro on this machine. It won’t even be hooked up to the internet once I’m done getting it where I need it. I have to have 10.14.6 or later so I might stop at Mojave.

I highly recommend getting a USB3 SSD, and installing Mojave and booting off of it. That 2012 mini is extremely sluggish with the 5400rpm laptop drive inside of it.

Comment

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
If Mavericks can't be found at Apple, there are... other ways.
However... I'd suggest either El Capitan or 10.12 "Low" Sierra as better options...

Comment

Tesla1856

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2017
Texas, USA
I think I'm going to leave my Late-2012 Mac-Mini on Mojave.
Reasoning ?
a. It's working fine the way it is.
b. I don't have to give-up (or find replacements for) any 32-bit apps.

And if you don't have one ... an internal SATA SSD makes it much faster. A 256gb-512gb one is pretty inexpensive now-days.

Comment

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
For your disk replacement, I would replace it with a 1 or 2TB SSD depending on your budget. You don't have the option for an all-internal Fusion Drive because Fusion uses 2 drives (an SSD plus a HDD) and on your system, you only have the choice of SATA form factor drives and there is only one.

I have 4 minis, all of them are 2012 Server models (2 SATA drive capability) and all of them have been upgraded with a 512GB SSD and one of their original 1TB HDD. One still runs macOS with those drives in Fusion Drive mode. The others are all Linux. This upgrade is easy if you are good at following instructions (Ifixit.com) and aren't a caveman when it comes to using tools (i.e. it's possible to snap some connectors, but I've swapped drives many times in these and never broken them).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.