Maverick Graphical Glitches on GM

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by gforce216, Oct 8, 2013.

1. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Anyone else have these graphical issues on GM?

1. Time Machine icon in menubar does not rotate when backing up. Just is kinda frozen with a half-rotation.

2. Launchpad is sluggish where it doesn't swipe completely over when I perform a finger gesture.

3. Safari scrolling is odd and jolts a little on the page left and right when scrolling up and down.

If no one else has seen these problems I may just have to do a clean install.

MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011 for those wondering.

2. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

This is now normal. They took the rotation out. There was a lot of developer discussion during the DP releases, and a lot of us initially reported it. But it appears to be the way they want it now. It now just shows a little extra triangle when a backup is in progress.

I am not seeing any Launchpad performance issues with a Magic Mouse or a Magic Trackpad.

I'm not seeing any problems. Scrolling works both up and down and left and right, so if you scroll diagonally, the page will move diagonally if it can. If not, it will sometimes bounce a little. But I haven't noticed any changes from ML, beyond generally better performance in Safari.

John <-- Mac mini (Late 2012), base i5, 16GB RAM, 680GB FDD (180GB SSD+500GB HDD)

3. gforce216 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. Glad to see that the rotating icon was just a change now. I'm guessing the sensitivity on my trackpad may have somehow changed a bit. I'll tinker with that then.

4. GWX macrumors newbie

John, how's Mission Control/Spaces performance in terms of animation smoothness? My base i7 Late 2012 Mac mini suffers with them at 1080p in Mountain Lion.

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have it so that when my pointer goes to the lower right corner, it shows the desktop. Sometimes, it doesn't activate.

So far, this is the only glitch I've noticed.

6. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I think the animations are all smooth. I'm driving a 27" 2560x1440 via MDP->DP and a 23" 1920x1080 via HDMI. I didn't have any particular complaints under Mountain Lion, though, so YMMV.

(I definitely appreciate the independence of dual-monitor Spaces under Mavericks.)

7. GWX macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer!

8. Studio K macrumors 6502

Studio K

disk utility

There is a graphical glitch when launching Disk Utility. The window gets stuck halfway when opening.

This was present in the Developer Previews and remains in GM.

9. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Dragging Finder tab out to Finder window

Dragging Finder tab out to create a separate Finder window, there are glitches on the zoom-in effect. All builds including GM has this problem...

10. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

I am definitely seeing the same issue with LaunchPad. Wasn't at all like that with 10.8.5.

11. jeanlain macrumors 65816

Here the scroll bars don't behave as they should. They don't get larger when I hover the pointer over them (or they do it inconsistently) and the scroll rail don't alway get visible.

12. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I didn't notice any glitches in the animation at first, but after I closed the Finder windows that I dragged out from tabs, I found that I still had two tiny icon-sized Finder window "ghosts" sitting on my desktop. They're persistent beyond wallpaper changes, but they're limited to the Space they were created on. If I swipe to another Space, they're gone; but when I swipe back, they're still there.

Odd.

And annoying.

I'm going to have to reboot thanks to you. :p

13. madmacfan macrumors 6502

Same here. Launchpad doesn't always go all the way across with the two finger swipe gesture. It kind of gets stuck. I have to swipe back and then forward again with my two fingers to get it working again.

14. dumb macrumors member

1. IDK, haven't used time machine.

2. Almost everytime.

3. I'm experiencing this too, but occassionally.

Early 2011, MBP- Upgrade, not clean.

15. gsilver macrumors member

I noticed the launchpad sluggishness almost immediately after installing the GM too. Changing the trackpad scrolling speed seemed to help a little, but it still seems slower than Mountain Lion.

System Preferences -> Accessibility -> Mouse and Trackpad -> Trackpad Options

I also get a tiny hitch when switching between spaces if safari is open in the space i'm switching to.

Scrolling long emails in Gmail in Safari is not smooth at all either. This is the only web content I've found that isn't smooth in Safari.

I'm using an early 2011 MBP with the 6750m 1GB. It doesn't seem to matter if I force the discrete GPU or use integrated.

16. bwat47 macrumors regular

I'm not seeing this issue at all on a haswell MBA

17. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

Same here. Screenshot attached, you can see the icon grid being stuck off-center.

Attached Files:

18. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I'll have to play with it more tonight to see if it's a conflict with a system utility or something that I'm running. The ghosts disappeared when I relaunched the Finder.

Everything else is buttery smooth, though. I had a weird Launchpad glitch under DP8 one time, but it wasn't reproducible, and I haven't seen anything like it under the GM.

19. nyolc8 macrumors regular

I noticed the disk utility opening bug, and the always-thin scrollbars issue too. Also when you open notification center, a shadow comes behind the menubar at the top right corner. This visible only when using a bright wallpaper.

20. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

I see this too and is irritating.

Seeing this. Annoying more than anything else, but its definitely pausing the render transition slightly.

No issues with this one on my systems. Launchpad and spaces seem fluid as always (on an ageing 5770).

no real show stoppers from my viewpoint, just some irritations. Probably be fixed in a .1 or .2 update.

21. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

I can "third" this. It is odd, but not significant.

I haven't noticed anything odd about the scroll bars, but then I pay next to no attention to scroll bars. They could probably remove them, and I wouldn't notice right away. :)

22. Studio K macrumors 6502

Studio K

Yes, none of these glitches are 'show-stoppers'. BUT.....there are so many of them. I can't believe the final version would be like this.
    What was great about Mr. Jobs was that he was meticulous about these things. He noticed the bugs, and, because he ran the company, he'd get them fixed straight away. We don't have that capability.
    The current Apple management are, not surprisingly, very unlike Mr. Jobs. They probably don't even use OS X enough to notice these glitches or aren't concerned about ironing them out---just making the deadline.

23. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I was thinking today that this might be the first Gold Master to not be the same as the release. At least none that I was ever aware of.

24. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

I can confirm the Launchpad bug, but strangely enough the scrolling in launchpad does seem smoother in general.

25. sshhoott macrumors 6502

sshhoott

I share the same opinion as you. The critical and meticulous eye needs to be there at the top to make sure "it just works."

There may be a newer build of GM seeded which will eventually become the release version.