Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roubitus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2010
Hello,
I currently have two partitions on my SSD: the first is for Mountain Lion and softwares, the second for my data. In case in make a clean install of Maverick, can I safely erase the first partition and keep the second one ? What will then happen to the Mountain Lion recovery partition ?
Thanks

ekiro

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2013
Hello,
I currently have two partitions on my SSD: the first is for Mountain Lion and softwares, the second for my data. In case in make a clean install of Maverick, can I safely erase the first partition and keep the second one ? What will then happen to the Mountain Lion recovery partition ?
Thanks

Use the disk utilities before installing to format the partition you want to install the OS on.

Don't touch your data partition unless you wish to lose it. Make sure you're doing the erasing right.

The recovery partition will be gone. You wont need it anymore. You can always install the OS via USB stick in the future. It's better. Frees up space that would otherwise be reserved for an action applied in rare cases.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hello,
Thanks

Yes, that will work fine. Mavericks will replace the Mountain Lion recovery partition with a Mavericks recovery partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.