Maverick on Macbook pro 2008 (Intel Core 2 Duo)

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Tom Schrijvers, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Tom Schrijvers macrumors newbie

Hello,

i've installed Maverick on a Macbook pro 2008 (Intel Core 2 Duo) with 4Gbyte of RAM. Maverick is a lot slower then 10.8.
    Has someone the same experience? is 10.9 a bridge too far?

Cheers
    Tom

2. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

Hi Tom, Mavericks runs beautifully on my 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo 2007 Macbook Pro. I also have 4GB, but have upgraded the boot drive to an Intel 320 SSD.

3. Pembroke macrumors newbie

I have the last white MacBook and only have 2GB of RAM. And everything is super snappy! Especially compared to SL. I also did a repair disk permissions and a clean install on my machine, so maybe that's why.

4. Hepatical macrumors newbie

Keep in mind that this is entirely subjective and that not all computers are the same.

On my system Mavericks is running nice and smooth, it feels faster than ML and cooler, with less CPU usage.

Graphics and animations/transitions are totally smooth.

5. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

you said instal but not specify if its clean install or just a upgrade install... I did a clean install of Mavericks on my data doubler on my 2nd drive with 7200rpm so I can dual boot Mountain Lion and Mavericks. Just in case Mavericks is too slow or not up to par with my standard. I never boot to Mountain Lion ever since. I also have a 2.4 ghz core 2 duo Late 2008 (unibody) with 4gb or ram.

6. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Not my experience

Yes there are issues with 10.9 but slow is not one of them for me. If i may make three suggestions...
    1. Run disk utility and repair the drive and repair permissions
    2. Reset SMC. This is a biggie
    3. Do multiple resets of PRAM. Like three in succession with no break

This did a lot for stability and performance for my 2008 mbp duo core 2.6 mhz witn an unsupported memory configration of 6gb RAM.

Try that out and post ypur results....id like to know how / if it worked.

7. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

It felt a lot slower at first on my 2008 Macbook Pro (the one with the NVidia 8600M GT), but it was just the new OS doing its caching and other optimizations. An hour later everything was fine. To me, it "feels" about the same as Mountain Lion which felt about the same as Snow Leopard, which felt about the same as Leopard. XBench tells me each iteration was SLOWER than the previous one, but not by leaps and bounds or anything. Quartz 2D is the one that does concern me, however. It is reading a good bit less as does OpenGL (I mean 20fps less isn't good, even on a cheap test like that one). However, XBench is way out of date and won't even run without disabling threads and the author has no intention as far as I can tell of ever updating it again. But all my prior machine (even PPC) had ratings so it's the only simple way to compare them.

On the plus side, my USB3 card still works fine on my 2008 MBP in Mavericks and everything seems to sleep/wake fine there, but the same Intellimouse won't wake right on my late 2012 Mac Mini with Mavericks for an unknown reason, which is too bad since Mavericks is the first version of OSX where "wake on Internet activity) actually works right with XBMC accessing it from an older AppleTV (gen 1) unit. It wakes right up. Sadly, the mouse doesn't. The buttons click and the light is on, but the pointer is frozen until I unplug/plug the mouse again, which means I'm not using sleep for now.

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Fresco chipset!? And if yes, which number?

9. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

I didn't know anything about the chipset offhand (or if I did I forgot) except that other reviews on there say it DOES use the Fresco chipset.

It's this unit: http://www.amazon.com/GMYLE®-Expres...1384294386&sr=8-2&keywords=usb+3+express+card

When I got it, it was only like $12 shipped, though. It worked with Mountain Lion on my 2008 Macbook Pro and still works fine with Mavericks.