Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majaca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
I am getting the prompt to update my new Mac desktop. When I go and click 'Install' and accept the rules/regs, blah blah…I then get prompted for my administrator PASSWORD-of which we have no password set on this computer.

Please help me. I have no idea what password it wants me to enter. I even tried my APPLE ID password, the one I buy apps with at the app store. No good.

Thanks much in advance!

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
To install Mavericks, you now NEED a non-blank admin password.

So, go to System Preferences / Users & Groups, click "Change Password", "old password" = blank, "new password" : create your admin password.

majaca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
To install Mavericks, you now NEED a non-blank admin password.

So, go to System Preferences / Users & Groups, click "Change Password", "old password" = blank, "new password" : create your admin password.

Ok, so now, another question. How do I know if I NEED or WANT Mavericks? Wth IS it? And, will it remove my current OS which is Mountain Lion or something like that? (It's the newest OS by Mac, we just built this computer within a month ago…) Thanks!

PS I am a bit 'update' wary right now. We updated our iPhones with iOS7 and it's HORRIBLEEEEE!

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
If you bought the Mac new one month ago, it is running Mountain Lion (10.8.5).

I can't tell you if you need Mavericks.... :D

If you install it, it will replace Mountain Lion but your data and settings will remain unchanged.

majaca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
If you bought the Mac new one month ago, it is running Mountain Lion (10.8.5).

I can't tell you if you need Mavericks.... :D

If you install it, it will replace Mountain Lion but your data and settings will remain unchanged.

Ok, so now I need help again. I am not ready to install Mavericks. But, now I have 2 icons down and to the right of my bottom row of stuff, with the big X on them-for Maverick installation. I cannot remove them. I cannot click on the upper left red-x button cuz it doesn't give me that option. The only upper left little red dot available for me to 'click' is the yellow one, which only again, shrinks it down again…to the bottom right where the row of stuff is. (Sorry for my lack of naming these things.)
Help me to get rid of these 2 big X icons for now?!

I tried dragging them into the 'trash' bin but no go! It's annoying the carp out of me!

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Click into the window of the installer (showing a big X), check that you have "Install OS X" on the left side of the menu bar, and do :

Cmd + Q in order to quit the installer.

Alternatively, you can right click the icon of the installer and choose Quit.

Last edited:

majaca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
Click into the window of the installer (showing a big X), check that you have "Install OS X" on the left side of the menu bar, and do :

Cmd + Q in order to quit the installer.

Ok, it worked for one of them…but before get rid of the other one, what about when/if I DO want to install it? How will I get it back? And, if I get rid of it now and want it later will I then have to BUY it? Sorry for the dumb questions!

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Could you post a screen shot, I don't understand what the other is.

The installer is an application, stored in your Applications folder (check it).
Its name is : "Install OS X Mavericks".

When you want to install, just launch it (double click).

Warning : once the installation is completed, the installer deletes itself, so if you wish to install Mav on other computers, you need to make a copy of it to an external drive prior using it to install.

You don't need to buy it again, of course.

majaca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
Could you post a screen shot, I don't understand what the other is.

The installer is an application, stored in your Applications folder (check it).
Its name is : "Install OS X Mavericks".

When you want to install, just launch it (double click).

Warning : once the installation is completed, the installer deletes itself, so if you wish to install Mav on other computers, you need to make a copy of it to an external drive prior using it to install.

You don't need to buy it again, of course.

It's just the same as the other big X. For some reason, I must have clicked them too many times and started to install 2 of the same. :confused: Before I remove the second one, I just want to make sure that I can access it later. So, when I delete this 2nd one, you think that it'll stay available in my App folder? Thanks!

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
You normally can not launch the same app twice.

Check your Applications folder : do you have one, or two Install OS X Mavericks ?

As long as you don't delete the app itself, it will stay in your Applications folder as any other app.

You will be able to use it when you want.

majaca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
You normally can not launch the same app twice.

Check your Applications folder : do you have one, or two Install OS X Mavericks ?

As long as you don't delete the app itself, it will stay in your Applications folder as any other app.

You will be able to use it when you want.

So, doing what you wrote in #6 is not 'deleting' the update?

I do not know how I got 2 app launch icons. ��

majaca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
Of course not, it is just quitting it.

The installer stays in your Applications folder.

Ok, I did that for the 2nd one and it's still in App folder.
But, when I go to see it in App folder, and click on Updates, the Maverick (X) shows and the long box to the right of it (the clickable one to 'update') is 'grayed' out and says faintly DOWNLOADED. So, then I went to my :apple: at the top left of computer screen and checked 'about this Mac'…it says my OS is Maverick!

I don't think it completely installed? Because when I go to click on and download the other 5 available updates, it says INCOMPATIBLE due to I need 'Maverick OS X'. What is going on?

Is it because I have not registered a password for my Mac yet? (which goes back to the original reason that I posted this question.) Thanks!

Fimeg

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
What your going to need to do is reinstall Mavericks then. If, like you say, several applications are saying you do not have Mavericks installed, then either, it's partially installed but several files have not be edited, or someone got in and played with the /system/library/coreservices/systemversion.plist file, but given what's already been asked, I'd doubt this. If you reinstall Mavericks, it will perform an archive and install, which essentially installs Mavericks right on top of itself.

So, reinstall Mavericks.
Try the iWork apps.
Report back to us.

majaca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
What your going to need to do is reinstall Mavericks then. If, like you say, several applications are saying you do not have Mavericks installed, then either, it's partially installed but several files have not be edited, or someone got in and played with the /system/library/coreservices/systemversion.plist file, but given what's already been asked, I'd doubt this. If you reinstall Mavericks, it will perform an archive and install, which essentially installs Mavericks right on top of itself.

So, reinstall Mavericks.
Try the iWork apps.
Report back to us.

Very confused now. I was told in original earlier posts in this thread, that before I can completely install Mavericks, I need to formulate a password. Please re-read first few posts. I still have not done that. (pw)

So, before I go in and try to reinstall Mav, don't I need to formulate an admin pw? Ok, that is first. Since it's partially installed, I might as well install it correctly.

Next, once I am ready to install Mavericks, how do I reinstall it? Do I need to remove it first? Please advise!

Next, what is iWork? NO idea here.

majaca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
When you click /About this Mac, you get a small window that says :

OS X
version : ??

What are the other 5 available updates ?

iMovie
iPhoto
Pages
Numbers
Keynote

They say require version OS X v10.9? How do I get that version?

drew627

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013

iMovie
iPhoto
Pages
Numbers
Keynote

They say require version OS X v10.9? How do I get that version?

Then you do not have Mavericks. 10.8.5 is Mountain Lion. Go install Mavericks (Mavericks = 10.9). It will install over itself or a previous version so you do not need to worry about "removing" the current system. Then you'll be able to update to the latest version of iWork (which includes Pages, Numbers, Keynote; it's a suite of applications, like Microsoft Office includes Word, Powerpoint, etc.) and iLife (meaning iMovie and iPhoto).

I think you might have misunderstood the meaning of the grayed out "Downloaded" button in the App Store. It simply means that you have downloaded installer for Mavericks, NOT that you already have Mavericks installed on your machine. It's still sitting in your Applications folder, as you confirmed above.

All you gotta do now is figure out what your old password is (there has to be one) and reset it to something you can remember. Also take heed of what the alert windows are saying. Sometimes they ask for you administrator password and sometimes it's your Apple ID password.

Last edited:

majaca

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2013
Got it, thanks everyone. The mud is clearer now. :)
I did not have a pw set on this computer, but I do now.
Are there any pros/cons to Maverick vs. Mountain Lion?

I have updated our iPhones with iOS7 and we HATE IT.

So, not in a rush to move over to OS X.

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.