Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
I am doing a downgrade upgrade. lol
I am transitioning to a macbook pro with snow leopard 10.6.8. My question is, during the snow leopard setup process, will the time machine 'restore from backup' work properly with a maverick backup?
Would migration assistant work better?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I am doing a downgrade upgrade. lol
I am transitioning to a macbook pro with snow leopard 10.6.8. My question is, during the snow leopard setup process, will the time machine 'restore from backup' work properly with a maverick backup?
Would migration assistant work better?
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

That process you see during setup is an import just like Migration Assistant (it even uses Migration Assistant on the source Mac) and will have the same effect. I think you are going to have problems doing this because you are going from an older OS version to a newer one and the settings and file are not stored in the same locations. MA is normally used to go forward in OS versions.

What year/model machine is it? Will it run Mavericks from this list? If so, you could just option key boot to the Mavs backup and erase the drive then restore the Mavs install to the old Mac.

logicstudiouser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
That process you see during setup is an import just like Migration Assistant (it even uses Migration Assistant on the source Mac) and will have the same effect. I think you are going to have problems doing this because you are going from an older OS version to a newer one and the settings and file are not stored in the same locations. MA is normally used to go forward in OS versions.

What year/model machine is it? Will it run Mavericks from this list? If so, you could just option key boot to the Mavs backup and erase the drive then restore the Mavs install to the old Mac.

Running mid 15" 2012 MacBook Pro. Transitioning to 17" early 2011 MacBook Pro.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Running mid 15" 2012 MacBook Pro. Transitioning to 17" early 2011 MacBook Pro.

That is perfect. Assuming everything is on the 2011 like you want and there is nothing to keep on the 2012, just do what I mentioned and you will be in business.

Just option key boot to the TM disk and you will see a recovery screen. From there launch Disk Util and erase the disk to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. The quit Disk Util and click restore. That will put Mavs and all your data and apps from that backup onto the new machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.