Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefugitivemind

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2008
Running Mavericks 10.9 GM on my Late 2008 13in Macbook
2.4ghz Core2duo
6GB Ram
1TB HDD

Performed a clean install and I have a runaway process (Com.Apple.mailserviceagent) Reboots do not make it go away and Force Quitting the process through Activity Monitor only makes it go away for a few minutes.
Ive tried searching the process on google but nothing comes up, do you guys have any idea what it is and any suggestions to stop it?

nJ7i7gT.jpg

ima747

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
I don't have runaway CPU usage, but I did have it using 20gb of ram... It's connected with the Mail app in some manner, I suspect it's a background daemon for checking mail while the Mail app is closed (just a theory). Letting the mail app run (not responding, but clearly working) it's draining off memory from the service agent, building up memory usage in the mail app, and then periodically purging it. I suspect it's grinding through my mail archive and updating it or some such nonsense so I'm just going to let it run and hope mail comes back to life once it's done with the service agent.

I didn't notice any issues on my laptop, but my usage there is very different, and it was updated through the betas as well rather than ML -> Maverick GM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.