Mavericks 4 Free with new MBA?

derDomi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Does anyone know, if I buy a new released MacBook Air today, will I receive a FREE Upgrade to Mavericks once it is released in fall?
Otherwise, I would just wait another more few month and get my MacBook Air once Mavericks has been released and comes with the device anyway.
Thanks for any advise!

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
I don't think it will be free. We're too far and they would have said so yesterday.
Last year's releases MBA/ML were much closer, they had to make it free.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Does anyone know, if I buy a new released MacBook Air today, will I receive a FREE Upgrade to Mavericks once it is released in fall?
Otherwise, I would just wait another more few month and get my MacBook Air once Mavericks has been released and comes with the device anyway.
Thanks for any advise!
not unless they announced that it would be free

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
Wasn't upgrade last time only $20 USD? Not bad in comparison to normal Windows upgrades, but still value in no charge at all when you buy a new machine.

I'd suggest asking at the Apple store if there's one near you. Never know, maybe they have something unmentioned they can do for you for the upgrade if you ask. If not, nothing lost by asking.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
if the os comes out withint the next month you'll get the upgrade for free probably, like the mountain lion up to date programme. if not $20 isnt much to pay if youre spending over a grand on a machine

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Thanks for any advise!
I think it sounds crazy to wait over a matter of 30 bucks or so.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I think it sounds crazy to wait over a matter of 30 bucks or so.
This. So the OP would rather wait 3 months or so, just to save at most 2% of the cost of their MBA and meanwhile the value of the MBA is dropping (but the cost isn't!)

goldhunter

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
Man I highly doubt they will give us a free upgrade for Mavericks.

I don't think that you should wait for a couple months for the OS to come with the MBA because by then they probably would release the new MBP family, new iPhones, iPods and you'll probably stray away and buy something else.

Also, the Macbook Air will no longer be new and awesome by then and you'll be like: i'll buy a toshiba...

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Also, if you have another (older) Mac, and want to upgrade it, then you're going to be spending the money anyway. Note that you can buy once and install on multiple Macs.

CarlWain74

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010
Also, if you have another (older) Mac, and want to upgrade it, then you're going to be spending the money anyway. Note that you can buy once and install on multiple Macs.
This is how I see it as I already have an iMac and a MBP which I will upgrade. Though if you purchase a MBA with Mavericks installed, would it not be available in the App Store to download on other Macs even though you did not purchase it through the App Store.

Just saying

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
In the past IIRC, it has been 30 days for the up-to-date free new version.
This sounds right to me. Basically if you buy a new air and 29 days later they announce the release of maverick you would get it free. The reason they do this is b.c you could technically just return the laptop and rebuy it with it already installed. The early adopters of the 2013 Airs will most likely have to cough up the $30