Mavericks adds Airplay to the Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Yidahoo, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Yidahoo macrumors newbie

Just updated to the second preview of Mavericks to find that Airplay has been enabled. I am on a 2009 Mac Pro with i970 Hex Core and a 7950 ATi card. I had heard that Airplay was not possible using the Mac Pro's architecture but it would seem this is not now the case

2. ugru macrumors 6502

ugru

You changed the processor with an i7 right?

That is why it is enabled now....

Mac Pro with Xeon processors AFAIK are not able to Airplay due to lack of Intel's Quick Sync technology inside the processor....

3. Yidahoo thread starter macrumors newbie

But it was'nt (still isn't) enabled under Mountain Lion with the same processor

4. ugru macrumors 6502

ugru

5. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Quick sync wasn't until sandy anyway if I recall.

6. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

Not all i7's have integrated GPUs. The i970 is not particularly different than the Xeon 3500/3600 series. The "i7" label is a bit muddled in that it covers two different micro-architectural implementations ( and sockets). It is not one uniform implementation.

Expanded Airplay support would come from Apple extending Airplay functionality to non Intel graphics cards ( which can compress video too... just requires some work. )

7. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

I would suspect that possibly Apple implementing with OpenCL for the AirPlay feature as well as the Intel QuickSync in OSX Mavericks.

If you are putting two GPU's that are OpenCL performers then may as well make use of them and there has been quite a bit of loud complaints from Mac Pro owners here on the forums about not being able to Airplay.

And who says Apple "never" listen to their users :D