Mavericks AirPlay mirroring requirements

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by rikscha, Oct 23, 2013.

1. rikscha, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

rikscha macrumors 6502a

Hi there,

since updating to Mavericks on my rMBP yesterday , I cannot Airplay Mirror my Mac to my ATV2.

I only get a pop up saying, Could not connect to Apple TV.

Does ATV2 need to run the latest iOS version? I still have iOS 6 (5.2) on it.

As I am relying on this older version, updating is not an option right now.

Thanks!

Edit: AirPlay mirroring still does work with my iPhone 5

2. kittonian macrumors member

I'm having a similar issue with a mid-2010 MBP. It won't even sense that my ATV3 exists. Works perfectly with my iPhone 5.

The only thing I can guess is that similarly to Mountain Lion, you need a newer MBP. Pretty disappointed as this one a big reason for me to upgrade that machine.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The 2010 MBP doesn't have right Intel chipset for AirPlay mirroring.

4. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

I don't have the option to connect to the Apple TV (2009 mac Mini) is this to be expected ?
    This would be boring, using TV as another monitor was something I was looking forward to.

5. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Could you use Airplay on Mountain Lion? Your Mac can definitely handle it.

6. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

The intel machines from mid 2011-current are the only ones for mirroring. However audio should still airplay to your ATV.
    P

7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Nope, it's an Intel chipset feature on the Macs that allows this. There's a popular program called Air Parrot but it's no match for the built in AirPlay video on 2011 and newer Macs.

http://www.cultofmac.com/177259/why...-2011-use-airplay-mirroring-in-mountain-lion/

8. rikscha thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, AirPlay mirroring worked flawlessly under ML.

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

OK then - is there any reason for not updating your Apple TV software? If you're jailbroken you may have to wait.

10. Jambalaya macrumors 6502a

@winkster @blueroon (and any others who replied thanks)

So on my 2009 Mac Mini with Mavericks I can Airplay audio and video from iTunes. However I don't see the icon at the top of the scene to use the Apple TV as another monitor -it's not mirroring I am after but a second screen feature like they showed at the keynote in the summer Any thoughts, is this lack of functionality due to my chipset ?

(note at the moment I am testing and set is both the mac mini and apple tv are connected to same tv but via different HDMI, I think this doesn't cause any special issues)

11. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

KeegM480

As said above me, but to elaborate, you need to have an early 2011 or newer MacBook Pro to mirror to Apple TV unfortunately.

12. Alveezy macrumors regular

Damn!!! that really sucks! i'm really contemplating on holding off for this update now. first XBMC not working and now not being able to use airplay because ATV 2 is not on the current firmware? this is ridiculous…

If ATV 2 was able to flawlessly airplay before along with mountain lion along with it being on 6.0(5.2.1) then nothing should change at all. i mean it could benefit a little or maybe to try that multiple display feature but not worth losing the airplay feature over.

13. rikscha thread starter macrumors 6502a

Good news, I haven't changed anything but am able to Mirror and extend my Mac without updating to the latest iOS version on my ATV 2 which means I remain jailbroken on my ATV!

The extend your desktop feature is awesome.

14. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I've been using XBMC since DP1, but I've stayed on Eden. Frodo has never been friendly to me.

I've had two issues - some files have a weird colour distortion, but not many. And getting rid of the menu bar can be tricky on a multi display setup.

What I do for that is open it on my main display and drag it over to my secondary display. Seems to do the trick.

I'm not too impressed with the Airplay mirroring - the image is compressed and shows too many artifacts for videos or gaming. Get much better results for videos using Airplay streaming on Air Video Server HD through my iPhone - it streams fairly high bit-rate x.264 without a hitch.

15. Alveezy macrumors regular

That's good to hear! :)
    What seemed to be the issue that made it to not work in the first place?

I swear your like the first person to answer my question about XBMC compatibility on Mavericks! So should i just download Eden when i upgrade to Mavericks?