Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kanon14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Hong Kong
Right now I have a 2007 Mac Mini connected to the TV serving as a media center. The Mac Mini still works but it's showing its age, so because I just bought the new 13" rMBP, I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV to replace the Mini if I can use AirPlay to stream my stuff onto the TV. Can I do that? I don't mean to stream my media library in iTunes. I have a lot of torrent shows that's I can't put into iTunes. Say if I play the mp4 or avi file in VLC on my rMBP, can I just use AirPlay to beam that full screen onto my TV via Apple TV (with audio of course)?

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Right now I have a 2007 Mac Mini connected to the TV serving as a media center. The Mac Mini still works but it's showing its age, so because I just bought the new 13" rMBP, I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV to replace the Mini if I can use AirPlay to stream my stuff onto the TV. Can I do that? I don't mean to stream my media library in iTunes. I have a lot of torrent shows that's I can't put into iTunes. Say if I play the mp4 or avi file in VLC on my rMBP, can I just use AirPlay to beam that full screen onto my TV via Apple TV (with audio of course)?

What you do with mavericks is, Apple TV acts like an external monitor. You can still mirror but you would just drag VLC onto the "external monitor" (Apple TV) and run it like you would on the Mac Mini, your Mac Mini will not run off of Apple TV without a 3rd party application which can lead to some major lag. The rMBP should be fine with Apple TV :)

Alveezy

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Hawaii
What you do with mavericks is, Apple TV acts like an external monitor. You can still mirror but you would just drag VLC onto the "external monitor" (Apple TV) and run it like you would on the Mac Mini, your Mac Mini will not run off of Apple TV without a 3rd party application which can lead to some major lag. The rMBP should be fine with Apple TV :)

hmm does the apple tv 2 have to be on the current firmware? mine is on 6.0(5.2.1) and yes it's jailbroken. i'm very interested in that feature to where the apple tv could act as an external monitor.

KeegM480

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
hmm does the apple tv 2 have to be on the current firmware? mine is on 6.0(5.2.1) and yes it's jailbroken. i'm very interested in that feature to where the apple tv could act as an external monitor.

Im not sure. I would assume so but I dont want to tell you yes and it not work. I always keep my Apple TV up to date because it is used for presentations often so I need it to be as reliable as possible. If you have Apple care Im sure they could answer that, just dont tell them you are jailbroken :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.