Mavericks AirPlay with AppleTV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by kanon14, Oct 24, 2013.

1. kanon14 macrumors regular

kanon14

I posted the same thread under the Apple TV sub, but maybe I'll get more luck here.

Right now I have a 2007 Mac Mini connected to the TV serving as a media center. The Mac Mini still works but it's showing its age, so because I just bought the new 13" rMBP, I'm thinking of getting an Apple TV to replace the Mini if I can use AirPlay to stream my stuff onto the TV. Can I do that? I don't mean to stream my media library in iTunes. I have a lot of torrent shows that's I can't put into iTunes. Say if I play the mp4 or avi file in VLC on my rMBP, can I just use AirPlay to beam that full screen onto my TV via Apple TV (with audio of course)?

2. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Yes. Mirroring is a lot better with Mavericks than with Mountain Lion, that's for sure.

Edit: It worked fine in ML, just now you can have it as a second desktop, essentially a wireless monitor.

3. kanon14 thread starter macrumors regular

kanon14

That's great! Have you tried it? Is there any lag? I'll mostly use it to stream mkv/avi/mp4 video.

4. Alveezy macrumors regular

I have an ATV 2 on 6.0 and it's jailbroken. No plans on putting it on the latest firmware because i'm not a big fan of tethered-jailbreaks. I was wondering if I'm able to connect to my Apple TV 2 with my MBA 2013 on Mavericks(if i upgraded)???

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I tried it last night with some very very good results. Video seemed to play back very well. The only "lag" I experienced is that my mouse seemed to be a bit choppy as it crossed the screen (not as precise). There is very little (if any) lag. I was very very impressed. I even played a fairly simple game on our big screen with surprising results.

6. kanon14 thread starter macrumors regular

kanon14

Ok I'm sold!

7. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Haven't tried it since Mountain Lion, but it was great back then in terms of video quality (definitely depends on your network setup). I've since ditched my AppleTV and moved to a 2006 Mac Mini (upgraded though) + PLEX. But if you peruse around the forums a bit, I'm sure you can find some positive anecdotes :)

8. exonico macrumors newbie

You can use indeed AirPlay Mirroring to mirror your VLC through AppleTV and it works fine although it does not handle 5.1 sound.
    That is why i use a very interesting app called Beamer whih does the same thing (strem to your appleTV) bur with 5.1 sound + you can use your appleTV remote to pause/play/advance etc...

9. cxc273 macrumors regular

AirPlay through Mavericks is very good. I was using it last night to stream the World Series to my Apple TV while I was working on some other stuff on my MacBook Air.

It didn't seem to affect the performance of my laptop, but it did drain the battery faster.

10. kanon14 thread starter macrumors regular

kanon14

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll definitely look into the beamer app.